Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blinking red T on mobile charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More frequently I am noticing my mobile charging unit blinking a red T and then the ESLA blinks green and it cycles. I noticed after the version 11 update, my amp went up to 48 on the car. Would this cause the issue, or is it a problem with the 14-50 outlet? I've brought it back down to 32 amps. I've already reached out to my electrician, but wanted to see if anyone has seen this already.

A mobile connector with a 14-50 should not allow the car to be set to 48amps at all, so something is quite wrong there. Are you saying that you plugged in your mobile connector, into your 14-50 outlet at home, and that your car displayed 48amps on the screen?

I just went down stairs to test it out, but that doesn't seem to be the case. When the charger is in, the amp changes to 32. For some reason when it's not plugged in though, the charging screen goes back up to 48. Must be some bug with v11, I've never seen it like that on v10. If I set it to 32, it would stay at 32. Guess I'll have to talk to the electricians.

Similar problem using UMC on 14-50. During charging, amps automatically decreased from 32 to 16. Error message indicates overheating. Pins on adapter VERY HOT! "T" is red. Other letters green. Has occurred twice. No way for me to determine if it's the UMC or wiring. Thought I was scheduled for mobile service today but that seems to have disappeared. Rescheduled for next Friday (1/21). Will update then.

When the charger is in, the amp changes to 32. For some reason when it's not plugged in though, the charging screen goes back up to 48.
That's normal behavior for all of the cars. When not plugged into anything, that screen will show the maximum that the onboard charger is capable of handling. Then when you plug it into something, the external charging equipment will send a signal announcing the maximum number of amps it will be able to provide, and then the car will match to that.

The blinking red T error code is something else, though.

That's normal behavior for all of the cars. When not plugged into anything, that screen will show the maximum that the onboard charger is capable of handling. Then when you plug it into something, the external charging equipment will send a signal announcing the maximum number of amps it will be able to provide, and then the car will match to that.

The blinking red T error code is something else, though.

Didn't know that. Thanks to @jjrandorin for providing the manual, now I know what it is.

Dont leave us in suspense, what is it? (lol)
Well, if my memory serves me correctly, in this instance it was red T blinking, and ESLA was off, so that means "Ground fault. Electrical current is leaking through a potentially unsafe path. Unplug the Mobile Connector from the vehicle and then plug it back in. Try a different outlet. If the error persists, contact Tesla."

However, I've also seen it in the past where the red T is blinking, and the ESLA is streaming green, and that means "Charging current is reduced due to high temperature detected in the vehicle connector. Unplug the Mobile Connector from the vehicle, and then plug it back in. Consider charging in a cooler area, such as indoors or in the shade. If the error persists, contact Tesla."

Maybe this UMC is just going out. Do these have warranty like the vehicle?

So it happened again. Got an alert on my phone saying charging stopped tonight and went down to see the red T blinking and nothing else.

Manual says it's "Ground fault. Electrical current is leaking through a potentially unsafe path. Unplug the Mobile Connector from the vehicle and then plug it back in. Try a different outlet. If the error persists, contact Tesla."

Does that mean the UMC has gone bad? Anyone know if they can diagnose it at the service center? I have an appointment next week.

I had the same issue but once I replaced the outlet in the wall it stopped getting hot and giving me the error message. Prior to that, I brought the unit to the service center and they tested it and said it was ok.
I just have the cheap Home Depot outlet, but will be replacing it with one of the Hubbell ones.

Reactions: cmy4x4
I had the same issue but once I replaced the outlet in the wall it stopped getting hot and giving me the error message. Prior to that, I brought the unit to the service center and they tested it and said it was ok.
I just have the cheap Home Depot outlet, but will be replacing it with one of the Hubbell ones.
The NEMA 14-50 outlet or the 50 amp breaker? I have two 14-50 outlets and the both trigger the red T after charging for an hour or so. I’m now starting to think it maybe my 50 amp breaker???

I had a similar issue where I would get the red T as soon as I plugged in, so I knew it wasn't actually overheating anything. I discovered when I flexed the cord of the 14-50 adapter, it would power cycle the mobile charger (broken/damaged internal wire?). I verified the outlet itself was in good working order. Tesla mobile service took a look and confirmed the 14-50 adapter was bad. No issues since replacement of the adapter.

I just had the issue of charging stopping after a short time, replugged to car and got full charge but submitted the issue to service just in case. They called me to ask if they could connect to car with my WiFi. About an hour later, they called and said it was the charger and sent me a new one under warranty. Unfortunately, the new charger had the fault code for unsafe circuit (the older one didn’t). Turns out it was an intermittent problem in my 14-50 outlet. But, A+ to Tesla service for excellent response and service.

I just went down stairs to test it out, but that doesn't seem to be the case. When the charger is in, the amp changes to 32. For some reason when it's not plugged in though, the charging screen goes back up to 48. Must be some bug with v11, I've never seen it like that on v10. If I set it to 32, it would stay at 32. Guess I'll have to talk to the electricians.
No that is exactly how it should work. The mobile connector is limited to 32 amps maximum. It can be less depending on the adapter but no more.

I have a similar issue between a Home Depot Leviton ($8) NEMA 14-50 receptacle and a Bryant ($45) receptacle. I just switched to the industrial Bryant receptacle because my Leviton receptacle gave me reduced current (12A) 3 times over the last 1-1/2 years. I thought it was due to heat so I bought an industrial receptacle. After installing the new industrial receptacle I got a red T light blinking twice. I then switched back to the Leviton receptacle and the Tesla logo was all green. Switch back to the Bryant receptacle again and got a red T blinking twice. Any ideas? The only change is the receptacle. The wiring is the same. Weird.

Attachments

• IMG_6700.JPG
    IMG_6700.JPG
    320.9 KB · Views: 1,998