Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Block Software from automatically downloading when connected to WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any way to block software downloads when connected to WiFi? I'm planning to use my Android phone for a hotspot when my premium sub expires and I want to prevent software to download on WiFi (my hotspot is has limited data). I would like to only use my home WiFi for software updates.

Is there anyway around this?

If you're not going to download software, why even bother with wifi? Just take the car off your network. That's what I did after the fiasco that was V11 last year. Aside from an occasional nag screen it's fine. No more updates for me thanks!

Just want to see if there is an option without too much work otherwise I'll keep paying for the sub. Thanks for the inputs.

I really only need Spotify and Navigation when driving.

And yes, I want to continue getting OTA software upgrades (ideally when not on my hotspot)

Just want to see if there is an option without too much work otherwise I'll keep paying for the sub. Thanks for the inputs.

And yes, I want to continue getting OTA software upgrades (ideally when not on my hotspot)
Navigation works without Premium Connectivity, but not satellite views or onscreen traffic data. You can probably stream Spotify from your phone via Bluetooth, though the sound quality won’t be as good. But it’s probably worth keeping Premium so you don’t have to use a hotspot.

My understanding is that basic navigation works even without a subscription. Certainly this was true about two years ago. (I had one year of free premium connectivity when I bought my Tesla, but I let that lapse when covid hit, then picked it up again about a year ago.) There's no display of traffic data without premium connectivity, but the navigation is supposed to use that data when plotting a route. Also, there's no way to get satellite views without premium connectivity. AFAIK, using WiFi through a cell phone won't get these features back, but I could be mistaken about that. Thus, AFAIK a cell phone WiFi link will get you nothing extra compared to stock connectivity levels in terms of navigation. If I'm mistaken about any of this, somebody please correct me.

As to Spotify, you might consider using Spotify on your cell phone and then link that to the car via Bluetooth. This should work fine, but you'll need to use your phone to control and monitor the playback. Some features should still work via the car's controls (volume, pause playback, skip forward and back), but if you wanted to do something more complex, you'd need to use the phone's user interface, which might be more awkward -- and of course "more awkward" when driving can also mean "more dangerous." I don't use Spotify myself, so I'm unfamiliar with its user interface and capabilities, much less how you use it, so I can't say whether this would be an important difference to you. FWIW, though, I use a podcast player on my phone to listen to podcasts while driving, and I have no problem with that approach. All of this works over Bluetooth with no WiFi hot spot required.

I'm interested in finding a solution for this as well. The updates tank my hotspot data for the month. Main reason I use hotspot rather than premium connectivity is to get HiFi quality from Tidal but if someone has a workaround for that instead I'd be open to hearing it (other than using MCU storage which somehow already says is full even though I have not downloaded any songs to it).

As a 3 year no WiFi owner I can answer. Doesn't matter if you have a download waiting or not. You can tell by the Yellow download arrow at the top of the screen. Connecting to your phone's hotspot will eat the hell out of data period. It will send driving data to the "mothership" that can chew many Gb of data like candy that can make a version update look like puny amount of data.