Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blocked pillar camera alerts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree, get it often, esp in winters w salty roads. But, it makes me feel less confident about FSD.
I’ve had the car longer now. It seems to happen more when it’s below maybe 15 - 20 F. Otherwise it’s not as frequent. In generalI don’t think the model Y was designed with sub freezing weather in mind. Defrost is mediocre at best, and all the cameras will fog or frost over, including the supposedly sealed front camera.

On balance I still like the car though - but everything has trade offs.

None of my cars ever showed condensation in the tail light lens, and I've had four. Just saying that it's not a serious issue for me, and that it's probably related to heavy rain or some such. Here in CA, we don't have much rain.

I'd try to find where the moisture is coming from and seal it, though that's obviously Tesla's job.

Took delivery in June 2021 and it started happening in November (winter months). We only get about 5 days of sun in Chicago (minor exaggeration) but every time the sun is out in winter, I get the pillar blocked message.
Similar experience out here in cloudy cleveland where we too get about 5 days of sun. I pretty much always have a blocked pillar message. It comes up whenever there is salt, snow, or sun... aka always.

Reactions: JoeT21MY
Brand new 2022 Model Y Performance and I have been getting that same b pillar camera blocked or blinded message for two weeks straight. The service center has no idea what to do about it. They direct you to the service app for absolutely everything. My favorite was when they asked me to upload a photo of the alert, which I then did, and the service app then required me to either cancel or reschedule my service appointment.

I get the b pillar blocked/blinded message every time I drive after dark in my 2021 M3. Apparently no one at Tesla lives in the country. The only reason this happens is because when you are in the boonies with no street lights, the cameras see all black.

Mike

Well this car was gifted to me by my dad courtesy of Tesla stock’s moonshot. I had bad vibes from the minute I went to the website to place a deposit. Honestly the buying experience was so bad, if it was my own money I would have never even placed a deposit. But my dad insisted ( he wanted to do something nice for me and my kids—he’s coming up on 86 years old and is in rapidly declining health) and I didn’t want to tell him “no.” I was also naive enough to buy FSD for $10k. I figured “let’s get the full Tesla experience.” Talk about a sucker being born every minute. I feel like a chump and feel bad for wasting my dad’s money.
Huh, I never quite know what to think when two people share similar experiences yet come away with opposite opinions... Other than some trepidation ($60k purchase on tesla is more intense than a $60 purchase on Amazon) I found the purchase process refreshing. Much more akin to researching and buying a new phone or laptop than dealing with a dealership.
Perhaps this explains our political environment of the last 20+ years...

To topic, I get the blocked pillar camera alerts frequently also. For me It seems to be the moisture (fog) that causes the issue. Similarly, I see fog from time to time in my taillights too. whether this is "normal" or not, it does seem down market.

I have a new 2021 Model Y and I am continually getting blocked pillar cam warnings for both left and right pillars cams. They are neither dirty, blocked or blinded. The warnings come and go frequently and have since the day I took delivery. At first, I thought they were just calibrating. But the error messages have continued to pop up on a random basis for apparently no reason whatsoever.
Just got our new Model Y a couple weeks ago and freakin love it BTW, but have been getting these alerts for the right and left pillar cameras being blocked or dirty only at night, as opposed to the majority of responses reporting sunlight conflicts. It’s pretty humid near the coast but it is definitely not cold. Turning on defrost, as Tesla suggests in the manual, and aiming the air flow to the general direction of the cameras, or preconditioning the cabin with warm deforest, is asking for a heat stroke. We didn’t purchase the full autonomous software yet, but probably won’t unless there is a resolution to this.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION

So I had this issue on my Model 3 at certain angles like everyone else. Turns out, there is a thin layer of plastic that covers the camera piller that is hard to see. It's left on there to protect from scratches with delivery and the Tesla delivery team either forgets to take them off or don't know about it. Check and see if you still have it on there. It's really hard to tell, but start from the top right corner and see if you can peel it away. Ever since I did this, never had issues again.

Here's a video showing how to remove it: