Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blocking the signal from the key FOB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know we all try to do everything we can so that the key FOB works, but I had a need for it NOT to work. Sometimes when I go out running or climbing, I want to leave the FOB in the car, yet I also don't want someone to steal the car. Plus, my wife likes to leave her purse in the car sometimes, and it seems regardless of where we put it, frunk, backseat, trunk, the car will still open because the key is in the car. Queue my homemade FOB sarcophagus....

IMG_20170204_234423.jpg
IMG_20170204_234439.jpg
IMG_20170204_234456.jpg

3d printed and then lined with aluminum foil. It also has the plate from the Scosche magnet mount so I can keep it out of prying eyes. Although, now that I think about that, I could have just thrown it under the seat.... Oh well. Signal from the FOB is completely blocked, even when placed directly on the windshield spot.

That's a pretty cool DIY solution.

For those that do not have access to a 3D printer or just don't want to DIY, there are wallets and pouches available for around $8-9 that are designed for blocking key fob signals (or cell phones, or what have you). Put your fob in there and then pop it in the glove compartment.