Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bloomberg’s at 5,187 now. :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the Bloomberg crew hasn't yet digested the 863 new VINs. Must still be digesting the big steaks they feasted on if they had been shorting FB:

Bloomberg%202018_07_28_zpsvi13uf5c.jpg

My feeling is that Bloomberg is not as interested in this tool anymore since production ramped up to good numbers.
And/or they realized that Tesla was operating in a way to actively mess with it, and/or realized that patterns of self-reporting VIN was probably going to change and the percentage of owners reporting was going to drop, both meaning that the tracking method becomes less reliable even if they did stay on top of it. So now they have a page generating views, easier to just let it coast.

Reactions: adaptabl
Another batch of 409 a few hours ago for Bloomberg to ignore. They are currently showing 4,495 per week, then up over 6,000 shortly. Haven't been seeing many people submitting VINs over 60,000 lately either. Only 3 up there.

RT

A full completed month into Q3, Bloomberg only estimates 16,000 or so new Model 3's produced. That would be an average rate of 3,613/week.
Are they truly behind, more than before? Of course as the number get bigger, error margin increases.

A full completed month into Q3, Bloomberg only estimates 16,000 or so new Model 3's produced. That would be an average rate of 3,613/week.
Are they truly behind, more than before? Of course as the number get bigger, error margin increases.
Average of 3.6K/week is in the ballpark of what I expected, given Tesla's pattern so far this year. I don't think what Bloomberg is doing will be all that accurate at the weekly level, too much lag and Tesla has too many production swings. But at the monthly level it's probably a lot more inline.

Another 691 VINs registered this morning. The Bloomberg graph still showing none of the recent <1k sets of additions. A bunch more 70k plus VIN numbers have been reported to them though.

RT

Tom Randall : Outliers aren’t manually filtered. We did a few early on, but our model skips highest reported VINs. For registrations, we simply ignore the tiny batches (hundreds or less). Whenever there’s a significant batch (000s) we take the highest VIN, so the mini batches get lumped in

• Informative
Reactions: Cloxxki
691 should be an easy day's production. Only makes sense if they are now consistently register such batches daily, as in 7 days per week.

Weren't there talks of 6,000 a week already, or was that in light of the 7,000 (S3X) peak week end of Q2?

Last edited:
I feel that the bloomberg graph is a joke now, i believe they are currently delivering Model 3's in the 70,000 range, I have seen a photo of a P model with a VIN of 74,xxx.
It's been a joke for a while now. The week Elon tweeted that they did 5k Model 3s, it wasn't showing anything close. It's never shown 5k at all (except for when this thread was started, and then it was adjusted down).

It's been a joke for a while now. The week Elon tweeted that they did 5k Model 3s, it wasn't showing anything close. It's never shown 5k at all (except for when this thread was started, and then it was adjusted down).

Currently showing 5,505 with 60,480 total. So they're getting closer.
Model3VINs tweeted:
"#Tesla registered 2,625 new #Model3 VINs. ~88% estimated to be dual motor. Highest VIN is 81204."

5 weeks from the Q2 result, Bloomberg sees 19,000 cars. 3,800 average. Tesla claims 5,000?
Then they would be on track for a really high sales number in Q3. Especially if they reduce the in-transit volume by delivering locally late in Q3. Which will be a challenge with a much thicker pipeline. 90-100K cars total might be on the cards. Will be hard to book a loss.