TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bloomberg Businessweek Why Everybody Loves Tesla

Discussion in 'News' started by Doug_G, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Why Everybody Loves Tesla - Businessweek

Nice article. Some snippets:

2. moollar

moollar Member

Yeah, I saw that one. Pretty good piece. I like this bit:

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

They really aren't following Tesla's lead. Both GM and Ford are heavily invested in using software as a differentiator to sell cars. GM's "expansion" has really been in-sourcing, reversing the process started by the spin-off of EDS in 1996. Although the Model S has the big touchscreen, Tesla's "thing" is providing software enhancements and doing it over the air. In other respects they're laggards compared to the rest of the industry, but based on JB Straubel's comments about car intelligence being a "core" they'll be working on it.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Putting twice as many programmers on a project that is already late just makes the project twice as late (and four times the cost).

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Tesla has hired software developers by the hundreds? I would be surprised to learn they had >= 100 total.

6. moollar

moollar Member

Apologies, I wasn't clear. The thought I had was that the major manufacturers are having to play catchup, not that Tesla was hiring hundreds of developers. Tesla has set the benchmark high and it seems as though they are awakening the sleeping giants (hopefully anyway).

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Wasn't your mistake. This was a quote from page 2 of the businesseek.com feature.

8. StapleGun

StapleGun Member

I'm a software developer, this spring I left my previous job and started on a job search. Being from Detroit, GM was one of the places I interviewed at. It was by far the worst interview experience I had. Instead of technical questions I was asked inane stock interview questions off a predetermined list such as "Explain a time when you have communicated with a person from a different background" and "How have you demonstrated leadership in the past". Add in the incredibly dull atmosphere and lack of enthusiasm from anyone I interacted with, and I didn't even need to wait for a response before knowing that was not where I would be working.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

HR in big corporations is always like that. HR personnel believe that employees are fungible and the best employee is the one who works for the least amount of money and quits before they have to give a raise (or worse retirement money). Many corporations have salary bands that the use as an excuse to cheat employees out of any merit raises.

10. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

11. Pablo Aguilar

Pablo Aguilar New Member

I love Tesla and think that Elon, is a genius, but i find it very interesting and quite a challenge for Tesla to keep its growth in popularity with people that would like a more EV affordable car. I say this because BMW just announced their Electric car being more affordable, I also know, the perks, range and acceleration are nothing to match but Tesla has opened the minds of people to like EV's, many of us who cant really afford a Tesla right now are waiting to see the stage 3 of their bossiness model where they want to make this more affordable ca, and we would have to wait at least by 2015. Now BMW has loyal customer base. their name carries wight globally and their affordable car is going to be available this November. It gives me a feeling that by the time Tesla gets their 30-50K car it will look like Tesla is following BMW instead of being the innovator for most people that doesn't know what TESLA is. Specially in the European market where there are only 2 TESLA cars and Model S is gonna start being sold on November this year

12. stephenpace

stephenpace VIN S00219

Tesla will no doubt get some competition, but I don't think the BMW i3 will be it. The car (IMHO) is fugly, and while it may take a few sales away from the Leaf, I don't think Tesla will be too concerned just yet. By Q2 2014 when this car is available, Tesla will have another 15k Model S on the road, SuperChargers in Europe, and suspense will be building for the Model X. I predict that Tesla will sell more Model S vehicles in 2014 than BMW will sell i3 (even at twice the average selling price).

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I'd forget the looks but agree that it's not competition. The Model S is competition for conventional performance sedans, adding some sales because of it's drawing electrification enthusiasts. The Model S is predicated on the idea of making longer journeys in a BEV.

The BMW i3 is a luxury mid-range BEV. It's a welcome addition to the market and it will, in my view, expand the market rather than compete with the Model S. If you're a luxury buyer and you want a Model S you can or will be able to afford it, but if you just need a 80-100 mile range, now there's something for you.

14. elecblue

elecblue Member

Singapore (for next 2 years) previously Chicago, I
    "Why Everybody Loves Tesla" - Because Elon is a cool f***ing guy! And he loves women (per his Teslive quote). Oh and he makes the coolest car on earth.