TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bloomberg Tesla Autopilot Accident Story Today

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Lightmatrix, Aug 19, 2016.

1. JMG

JMG Member

I just saw that too. I'm in the insurance business and got the email from Insurance Business America magazine who picked up the story, mainly because it appears his insurer (Chubb) is considering taking action against Tesla.

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

a poorly written article, in the first paragraph the driver states that he wasn't paying attention, any lawsuits will be thrown out of court because of that admission.

• Like x 1
  3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I haven't seen anything else on this incident, but it kinda sounds to me like maybe he pushed the wheel while stretching over to the glove box and thereby disengaged autopilot?

• Like x 5
  4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

If he pushed the wheel, the logs will catch it. Either way, it seems the insurer should go after the driver, given he admittedly wasn't paying attention.

• Like x 1
  5. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

lol, the guy was cleaning his dashboard as the car was driving off the road.

• Like x 2
  6. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

This owner violated my "tesla advocate creed". Rule #1. "Do NOT talk to media after AP accident"

I really don't like Dana Hull any longer now that she reports for Doom-berg

She has a lot of disrespect for a noble company in her own back yard

Yes, I realize she needs a paycheck...

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. brantse

brantse Member

I agree, but honestly, does an insurance company ever refuse to cover a damage because of some type of negligence or carelessness? If that was the case, the damages of most accidents would probably fall on an individual.

• Like x 4
  8. chillaban

chillaban Member

No, but regardless of how they find fault they still like recovering as much of their money back as possible and I'm not surprised they'd attempt to go after the car maker.

9. xav-

xav- Member

Story is telling. As the guy used the same road every time with 0 problems he was not paying much attention. Isn't this something that could have happened to anyone?

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  10. kort677

kort677 Active Member

no

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  11. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

The last paragraph really rubbed me the wrong way... His next car won't be a Tesla? Why???

Jeff

12. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze Member

This yet another example of a driver helplessly turned into a zombie by activating Zombie Mode... er, Autopilot. When that mode is active, the car drives like the undead and is highly contagious. Don't let it infect you too. Two zombies driving simultaneously is not safer than one human driver driving alone.

• Funny x 3
  13. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Huh??? I'm trying to find out if you're trying to be funny, sarcastic, or serious...

Jeff

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. chillaban

chillaban Member

That's a bit of a logical fallacy. There's no promise made that AP will behave in the exact same way each time you take a road regardless of circumstances. Every time you decide to not supervise AP closely (e.g. be prepared to take over immediately), you are wagering on a bet that AP will behave correctly on that stretch of road.

I'm not entirely opposed to people taking this kind of risk. But people who do should be adults about it. The correct response is "I took a risk and got burned, and accept responsibility for it".

It's no different than "I never hold my steering wheel when my car is going straight and nothing bad has happened" or "I always play Pokemon Go on this uneventful stretch of my commute in my non-AP car and nothing's ever happened" or "I never bother checking for cross traffic here and have taken this route for 5 years and nothing bad has ever happened"….

• Like x 5
  15. Science fan

Science fan Member

We really should consider this feature "driver assist" rather than "auto-pilot." In time, it may become a trustworthy auto-pilot, with more appropriate sensors and software but, as it is now, anyone who uses it in a manner consistent with the term "auto-pilot" is just plain nuts.

• Like x 4
  16. Max*

I think you're confusing the term autopilot with autonomous.

• Like x 8
    • Dislike x 2
  17. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Auto pilot is a pilot assist feature, and in the original usage it merely kept the plane straight and level - everything else (speed, not running in to things, communication with controllers) was the pilot's job.

It seems like a lot of folks (mostly not pilots?) are expecting a lot more than autopilots have historically delivered. (Some modern systems do more, but it still doesn't replace the pilot - yet.)

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. Science fan

Science fan Member

I cannot disagree with the meaning of the term "auto-pilot" as not meaning an autonomous controller, as it is used in some drone aircraft. However, the term can be misleading and it seems to me that at least some of the accidents that occurred while driving in AP mode would not have occurred had this feature been named "Driver assist." I am a pilot with two long distance speed records.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  19. Max*

The triple negative got me.

At first I was like "yeah, he agrees with me!", then "no wait, whaaaaat?", then "o, ok, yeah!"

• Funny x 8