Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

blow out of passenger rear tire in interstate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my MS 70 last Friday. As of yesterday I had 370 miles on my car. I was driving home from an appointment at about 2:30 p.m. in the western suburbs of Chicago on interstate I290 when I had a blow out of the passenger rear tire. I was driving with auto pilot and paying attention. I did not see anything on the roadway prior to the blowout. However I heard two very loud pops almost like a small caliber gun shot and then a flat tire. I pulled over. TESLA called a tow truck and took me to the closest service center. (The one where I took delivery just four days prior) They put on a new tire. Examining the car on the side of the road I noticed rash on the wheel and also a scratch about 2 1/2 inches from top to bottom and about a 1/8 th of an inch wide. The scratch is just to the rear of the tire. Whatever I hit or whatever was hit by someone else and went flying into my tire put a hole in the sidewall of the tire about the diameter of the tip of my little finger. Average size fingers for a man.

The service center replaced the tire and tried to buff out the scratch and also used a touch up stick. Initially touch up stick looked good but by time I got home it was wearing off. I will probably get a touchup stick and let it dry for awhile before driving.

The new tire cost $181 plus labor. I am not mad at TESLA as I know the tire blowing is not their fault. However you would think there was a hazard warranty on tires. With the amount of tires TESLA buys you would think they have some leverage to require tire manufacturer to provide a hazard protection plan on tires. If you go to DISCOUNT TIRES (tire store in local area) you can buy that when you get new tires. It is about $20 on a $90 dollar tire. Or $80 on a set of four new tires. So on a TESLA that would have probably been about $160 on a set of four tires. That would have been a savings of $21 plus the labor. Just crabbing. The Service center was really great and roadside assistance got a tow truck out pretty quick (45 minutes) in afternoon traffic in Chicago area. I can not say enough how great the service center people were and how hard they tried to get rid of the scratch. Whatever hit left a deep scratch/indentation. I think they were more upset than I was. Thanks Villa Park Service Center you guys are great.

One more quick note. It was pretty funny watching the two tow truck guys. They were very professional and good at their job buth they took pictures of all sides and front and back of car before they attempted to hook it up. They wanted to make sure I did not come back later and say they damaged something.

I agree. But having to replace a tire with 370 miles it is pretty expensive. But everything else was super from Road Side Assistance, Tow truck Company and Service Center Guys. Also nobody was hurt so that is even more important

Glad it all worked out for you. Hazard protection seems like a good idea. I'll be picking up my MS70 at the Villa Park service center in the next 2 weeks - glad to know you liked them.

Colin was my DS and Brandon provided about an hour long orientation on the car. Brandon even called me on Monday to see how the weekend went and if I had anymore questions.

They were both great to work with. When my wife and I left my wife commented to me that this was a pleasant experience and unlike any other purchase of a new car we experienced in the past.

Good luck hope you are as happy with the Villa Park service center as we were.