Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blower motor not working, no air from vents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions. I have a 2016 model s, today I was installing aftermarket LED stainless door sills that require you to unplug the LED footwell light and plug in the wiring harness into this. I did this, and they worked, but afterwards the blower fan didn't work. No air at all is coming out of the vents. I can hear the radiator fans on the front spin up and down, externally the car sounds the same. I checked all wiring harnesses, everything looks plugged in. The blower motor itself is pretty far up behind the glove box, so I very much doubt that I actually contacted that while I was removing the panel. I've seen a couple sporadic instances of this on the forum. Has anyone had this or does anyone have any guidance? It's starting to get really hot in Tennessee and no climate control is going to be a problem for a little bit.

Sorry if this is too obvious, but make sure that the vents you are expecting air to come out of are selected.

I mention this because several times I have cranked up the AC but nothing is blowing out of the dash vents. After going to settings, either the floor vents or the windshield vents are selected, and not the dash vents that I thought were selected the last time I used the car. I know that the windshield vents get selected when running the front defroster, so I guess they are not deselected when defroster is turn off. But I don't know how the floor vents get selected since I never select those.

Sorry if this is too obvious, but make sure that the vents you are expecting air to come out of are selected.

I mention this because several times I have cranked up the AC but nothing is blowing out of the dash vents. After going to settings, either the floor vents or the windshield vents are selected, and not the dash vents that I thought were selected the last time I used the car. I know that the windshield vents get selected when running the front defroster, so I guess they are not deselected when defroster is turn off. But I don't know how the floor vents get selected since I never select those.
Sometimes it is the obvious things, but sadly not in this case. No matter what climate options are pushed, the blower fan does not kick on.

I did uninstall the harness. Thanks for the lead on the reset process. I tried that, still didn't work. I took off the panel again today to look at everything around the blower motor and all the wiring harness connections, and I still don't see any way that I could have messed with anything, but I double checked it all and all that seems secure.

Attachments

• 20220517_145933.jpg
    20220517_145933.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 442
  • 20220517_145920.jpg
    20220517_145920.jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 176
I did uninstall the harness. Thanks for the lead on the reset process. I tried that, still didn't work. I took off the panel again today to look at everything around the blower motor and all the wiring harness connections, and I still don't see any way that I could have messed with anything, but I double checked it all and all that seems secure.
Did you ever figure out the issue. Mine quit yesterday. I pulled the blower out and bench ran it and it works. It won't run in the car.

Found the 10amp thermal fuse blown on the circuit board inside the green blower motor resistor. I found a box of them for $8 on Amazon. Soldered in a new one and it works great again. 5 hours labor tracking down the problem for an $0.80 part. Could do it again in less than 1 hour now.

20220802_204101.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Gtech
Screenshot_20220801-130637_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Found the 10amp thermal fuse blown on the circuit board inside the green blower motor resistor. I found a box of them for $8 on Amazon. Soldered in a new one and it works great again. 5 hours labor tracking down the problem for an $0.80 part. Could do it again in less than 1 hour now.

View attachment 836295

View attachment 836295