Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blown 21" Pilot Sport 4S in < 400 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought my '21 Model S Plaid with < 4k miles. Had it for less than 3 weeks. Hit a small pothole on the way to the DMV today to title the vehicle and this happened.

I guess reddit/this forum was not lying about how delicate these tires are. Hopefully because the tires are so new I can at least get away w/ only changing out one of them. And thankfully the wheel does not appear to have suffered any damage.

Lesson learned. Pay attention when FSD is driving and watch for potholes, even relatively small ones.

On the plus side, at least I took care of my business at the DMV, and Tesla roadside covered my tow which was fast and friendly.
PXL_20230323_214125575.jpg

Sell the wheels and tires while they are still worth something. Some fool will pay for them. It will cover most of a 20” or 19” set. And you’ll get more range. 19” can have just as good a traction.

Or be prepared to have things not go as smoothly next time. Which won’t be long.

Blowouts on low-profile tires are common on all makes and brands and have little to do with Tesla. Low-profile tires look cool and offer great handling, but with tiny sidewalls, they can't handle any serious abuse like potholes. At least the rim wasn't damaged, which will happen with a really bad pothole.

Anyway, that's the tradeoff between 19" and 21". If you're in an area with lots of potholes, I'd consider switching to 19" tires.