TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Blown two tires

Discussion in 'Model S' started by nishy1, Jan 17, 2016.

1. nishy1

nishy1 Member

Always seems to happen at the least convenient time. 1215am on Saturday night (Sunday am) in Beverly Hills. Hit a colossal pothole. Front and rear passenger tires blown. 21" rims come into their own - what a pain and only 3k miles on the car.

AAA was pathetic - couldn't deal with the car and aren't certified. Called tesla roadside and they were amazing. Picking up the car remotely activating it to take it to the local service center. I wont have my car til Monday but it sounds like they will take care of it quickly enough and they'll provide a loaner or a rental in the meantime.

Crazy to me that the car is so quirky but the service angle makes up for it. Sitting in the Cadillac they sent to take me home as a courtesy as I write this.

Does anyone know how much it will cost to replace those two tires (one front and one rear)?

2. Scotty

Scotty Member

I don't know the current pricing on the 21" tires and rims, but paid the Tesla SC yesterday for the following,... a new 19" Michelin Tire ($300), New Stock Rim ($300), TPMS ($50), Mounting & Balancing ($50), plus tax. The 19" Goodyear tire ($180) was also available from Tesla, but I prefer Michelin.

I also experienced a flat tire this past Wednesday morning (not on my Tesla). My MS went in the day before to get the Drive unit replaced, and the SC provided a P85D with about 8K miles, with the 21" tires and rims. About 90 miles later, I turned right (good roads) and the tire warning lit up, and went from 43 psi to 0 psi, in about 25 seconds. Called Tesla Roadside Assistance, and they took care of it. I have heard of (and now experienced) the 'delicate 21" flat tire syndrome' ... (my wording:wink:)

3. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

Consider 19

4. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Amen.

5. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Yeah... but 21s are so.... much.... fun...

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

19" and a good set of tires, and you will barely notice the difference. 21" are 95% about profits, 4% about looks, and 1% about performance.

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

There are lots of good 19" options. If you like Tesla's turbine-style wheels, T-Sportline and Rial make 19" wheels in several finishes. I have had the Rial wheels in the shiny silver for 2 1/2 years, and I don't even put the 21" wheels on in summer anymore. They have a bit of curb rash from some family members using them for curb-finding.

8. linkster

linkster Member

.....and just to add to j3, about -20% performance below a 20".

9. FlasherZ

My own rough calculations show it to be more like 6-10%, but there is a hit with 21" wheels.

10. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

11. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

That "fun" comes at the cost of about 3% less range, harsher ride, and as the OP found out, tires that are more prone to damage and failure and more expensive to replace when they do fail. I wouldn't get the 21" wheels even if they were a "free" upgrade.

Part of the "fun" people talk about is attributable more to the fact that the 21" wheels come with high performance summer tires and the 19" wheels come with all season tires. Tires do make a difference.

12. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

#12 Xenoilphobe, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    I just bought these - esecarbon.com and dumped my 21's (which are for sale with tires on this forum) new rims from Tesla will cost you $1100 per wheel and tires vary in price, but usually ~$500 each plus labor. P85+ 21 inch staggered tires and rims for sale

- - - Updated - - -

You nailed it!

13. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I've got the T-sportline TSTs and they've been great.

14. Maaz

Maaz Member

I will never give up 21 rims. Too beautiful. Totally changes the look of the car compared to 19, imo

15. FlasherZ

Yes, it's a benefit of living in California. Unfortunately, those of us who experience winter can't really do it safely. I broke two tires the first winter. I say "broke" because it's like driving on round rocks, and they practically shatter if you hit a pot hole.

16. Parker Andrews

Agreed!

17. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Get 20s. Closer to the 21" look and performance, more of the 19" pothole protection. 30k on mine now and despite hitting a few nasty potholes, no flats (knock on wood).

18. Magus

Magus Member

Dark turbine 21" inch wheel model S with rear mini spoiler is truly the pinnacle of automotive beauty. They look great with air suspension raised to the highest, very aggressive but smooth, and balanced posture. I don't want to take the ceramic sensitivity to damage or the ever so slightly hit to efficient, so have remained on 19".

19. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

I guess it depends on whether you want your car to look like you're compensating for something... [emoji3]

I never understood the love affair with the ultra thin ribbon tires (or with spoilers or red calipers or...)
    I guess I like a more understated look and not the "hey! Look at me! I'm still a 19 y/o with pictures of race cars on my bedroom wall" look.

Ok, that may get me sent to silliness, err snippiness. Not trying to attack anyone personally... Just trying to explain what I think when I see the typical pimped out ride.

PS: my P85D is unbadged, no spoiler, black calipers, 19" wheels...

20. Caligula

Caligula Member

How is having OEM equipment on a vehicle "pimping it out"? Also terrible phrase IMO.