Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blown two tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is having OEM equipment on a vehicle "pimping it out"? Also terrible phrase IMO.
Bad choice of words on my part. I think I picked it up from an old MTV show or something... Here's an attempt to visualize what I mean.
Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 11.03.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 11.04.57 AM.png

To me the car on top looks much more understated and attractive. The car on the bottom looks to me like the owner has something they want to prove.
But that's a matter of personal taste and attitude. And I can provide loads of character witnesses that will be happy to confirm that I have neither good taste nor good attitude...
:)

I guess it depends on whether you want your car to look like you're compensating for something... [emoji3]

I never understood the love affair with the ultra thin ribbon tires (or with spoilers or red calipers or...)
I guess I like a more understated look and not the "hey! Look at me! I'm still a 19 y/o with pictures of race cars on my bedroom wall" look.

Ok, that may get me sent to silliness, err snippiness. Not trying to attack anyone personally... Just trying to explain what I think when I see the typical pimped out ride.

PS: my P85D is unbadged, no spoiler, black calipers, 19" wheels...

Says the guy with a RED tesla.

Says the guy with a RED tesla.
You have a point. But I never claimed that I was consistent (or, for that matter, sane)... After having seen hundreds of Model S I think the mc-red is the most attractive of the colors. But I can see that people might claim it is "show-off-y". Guilty as charged. Ha. I should have taken the screen shots above with an mc-red car. Didn't even occur to me. I just took the default that the design studio came up with...

I guess it depends on whether you want your car to look like you're compensating for something... [emoji3]

I never understood the love affair with the ultra thin ribbon tires (or with spoilers or red calipers or...)
I guess I like a more understated look and not the "hey! Look at me! I'm still a 19 y/o with pictures of race cars on my bedroom wall" look.

Even though I prefer the understated look as well that is uncalled for dirk.

It sure is... watching those dollars fly out of your pocket towards higher maintenance costs!

The same can be said about utilizing insane or ludicrous mode, or getting a "sport" or "performance" package on any vehicle for that matter. Why get an M3 and waste money on tires and gas when you can get a 328 (or whatever BMW has now as a base 3 series)? That's a slippery slope IMO.

I have had both 19" and 21" wheels on my car (started with the 19s). I actually find the tradeoff between fun and practicality reasonable. I am getting about 20K miles out of the tires (Continentals) and am religious about tire pressure to maximize the protection the tires offer. Sure this is less than the 35K miles I got out go the first set of 19" (Michelins) but its not like folks don't get flats with 19" tires and I like the look of the bigger wheel (judge me if you must, don't care), so it works for me, YMMV.

That being said, if I lived in snow country, I'd do the summer wheel/winter wheel thing.

O

The same can be said about utilizing insane or ludicrous mode, or getting a "sport" or "performance" package on any vehicle for that matter. Why get an M3 and waste money on tires and gas when you can get a 328 (or whatever BMW has now as a base 3 series)? That's a slippery slope IMO.

Hahah. Good points! I've never needed it on the street other than to show off to friends/coworkers the power of the Tesla. Only been to the track once, but I'm sure my 19" tires will last longer than those with 21" tires who haven't been to the track.