Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue-ish fluid leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only had my MS for a few months, so in need of a little help. Just noticed a spot on the garage floor this afternoon, it appears to be a blueish fluid leaking from approximately where the front drive unit would be. In reading through some past forums, it could be battery coolant? It does have the viscosity of oil, but almost has the color of antifreeze, but more blue than green.

Attached a pic here after I wiped it off the floor. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20180106_230805.jpg
    20180106_230805.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 1,629
Leak is definitely worse this morning, two distinct puddles, one about 6 inches wide one about 4, side by side.

Definitely not washer fluid, too sticky for that. I'm afraid it is battery coolant from what I'm reading.

Good news is I randomly have an appointment at the service center on Tuesday for some other smaller items, so I will let them know about this.

Thoughts on driving it there? I'm about 15 miles away.

Leak is definitely worse this morning, two distinct puddles, one about 6 inches wide one about 4, side by side.

Definitely not washer fluid, too sticky for that. I'm afraid it is battery coolant from what I'm reading.

Good news is I randomly have an appointment at the service center on Tuesday for some other smaller items, so I will let them know about this.

Thoughts on driving it there? I'm about 15 miles away.

Was just reading another post with similar symptoms and it turned out to be a leak from the drive unit (so, not a good idea to drive it). I’d arrange for the service center to flat bed it there. At the very least, call first thing tomorrow AM and see what they think.

The entire coolant system holds about 6 gallons from dry.. could be a cool line going to the front drive unit, but most likely it’s the coolant quick disconnect for the HV battery called the rapid mate. It has o-rings that will leak at times.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
911CE56C-50AE-481B-A4F9-DEB39A725302.jpeg
EA2C532F-CE4F-4BE6-8885-F0248DCED8BA.jpeg
Weird thing. I just found the same thing in my garage. Two 4-5inch puddles in between where the front two tires were. Feels like a motor oil, no smell, and light blue color. Definitely not watery like windshield wiper fluid. No smurf markings on the front of the car either.

• Funny
Reactions: Decibelle
I would demand a flatbed. Who knows how much coolant has actually leaked out while driving previously or parked elsewhere. Not worth causing permanent damage to the car or, worse, potential danger to yourself.

I haven't driven it since I noticed the puddles. I called the service center first thing this morning, and they consulted with a couple techs, and their thought was that if it doesn't show a 'low coolant warning' that it should be ok to drive to the SC since I am only 15 miles away.

I also haven't started it back up since yesterday morning to see if that warning would come up now - I will try tonight and see before I take it in tomorrow, otherwise I agree with Nick, I will be calling roadside!

Was just reading another post with similar symptoms and it turned out to be a leak from the drive unit (so, not a good idea to drive it). I’d arrange for the service center to flat bed it there. At the very least, call first thing tomorrow AM and see what they think.

This exact thing happened to me about a week ago.

Don't drive it.

Call your Service Center, and if they're unavailable, Roadside Assistance should be able to set you up with a tow.

The cold temps caused me to burst something in the coolant loop for the DU, leaking coolant all over the place. The DU had to be replaced, and hopefully, I get my car back today. Good luck.

Just dropped off mine last night at the SC....after calling both them and Roadside Assistance, they were adamant that since there was no "Low Coolant" warning that it was ok to drive that short distance. I made sure to have Roadside document that I called with notes that I was driving to the SC, just in case anything else happened - but made the journey with no issues.

Will let you know once I have any updates on what they find. On the plus side, I got a nice MX 90D as a loaner - the kids loved the 'Holiday Show' in the driveway last night! (Although the neighbors didn't seem as amused) :D