TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Blue LED

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by slindell, Nov 6, 2012.

1. slindell

slindell Model S Sig #353

#1 slindell, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    Has anyone seen a blue LED on their charging port? Friday and Saturday evening I got no power thru my UMC via a wall outlet. But I charged for an hour Sunday on a J1772, and now both Sunday and Monday evening I got power from the wall with no problem. Spooky. :confused:

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

On the Roadster the blue light means waiting until the proper charge time. I have my Roadster programmed to charge at 2 am during off peak.

3. strider

strider Active Member

To expand on dhrivnak, blue means that the car is plugged in and waiting to charge. When it's getting ready to charge the blue flashes and then switches to flashing amber when actually charging. That is for the Roadster. Still a few weeks out for our S :)

4. slindell

Strange. It was plugged-in for 10 hours, not a single volt/watt/amp/whatever put into the car, and the LED was blue when I unplugged before leaving the house.

PS: the Model S blinks green when it is charging.

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

On Model S the blue is just telling you that the plug is detected and initializes the lock. You usually only see it for a second when plugging in. If yours showed a permanent blue that maybe a fault or could be that your plug wasn't fully in and locked.

Correct light sequence is white (charge port open), blue (plug inserted), green pulsing (charging), green steady (charging completed).

6. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

FWIW if it's not fully inserted, it'll be yellow (done that a few times now ...)

7. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

#7 DaveVa, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
    I've had it come up yellow many times - it then detects my NEMA 14-50 as a 16 amp circuit. I then have to remove the connector and repeat the insertion procedure... I showed the problem to a Tesla Ranger who took note of the issue. The connecter seems to be fully inserted - but once yellow, it never gets blue/green unless I reinsert the connecter.

Not really a problem now, but it will be a concern when we have delayed/timed charging capability.

8. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Interesting. I've had mine think my 14-50 was 16A once, too. Never was able to reproduce it.
    I've noticed that it often seems like the connector is fully-inserted, but it's not. You can push on it and it'll move another few millimeters and lock into place. Since I figured that out, I've made sure to really truly push it all the way in on the first try. Not sure if that's what you're running into... (doesn't sound like it, but worth a shot)

9. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

I have confirmed it. If you don't push the connector all the way into the Model S and hear a click, it limits to 16 Amps. Removing and inserting all the way gets you back to 40 Amps or whatever your current limit is.

10. Ardie

Ardie Member

One last thought:

If you lock your car while charging, the charge port LED will not illuminate. But it does continue to charge.

-- Ardie
    Its even in the manual.

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Minor bug: Last night I exited the car faster than my wife and daughter and coincidentally plugged in at the exact same moment as both of them opened their doors. I got the blue LED and then it turned back to white and didn't start charging. I unplugged, replugged and everything was fine after that.

12. slindell

Problem solved with a new Mobile Connector. I know plug it in, and within one second the car goes white/blue/green. Thanks everyone for your comments.

PS: I unplug the MC from the wall when I'm not charging, just because I don't like "vampire loads". Any thoughts?

13. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I've heard it said that NEMA 14-50 is not intended for lots of plugging/unplugging. I just leave mine plugged in unless I'm taking it somewhere with me.

14. tezco

tezco Sig P85

The first time I tried to charge the light was green, then went to flashing green. Locked car and LED went out. Came out next morning and when I unlocked the car the LED was blue, but car had charged. Haven't had this happen since; however.

15. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

The Roadster charging LED goes dark when you lock the car - it's a security measure to keep from drawing attention to the charging vehicle when you (presumably) are no longer nearby. I suspect it is the same for the S.