Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue or Red! ARGH!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thoughts during the order process....

Black - Had a couple black cars and they look awesome when clean. Unfortunately, they don’t stay clean long and my intent was to use the Model 3 often.

White - I like it and it’s very utilitarian. I also really like the contrast between the ‘20 gray wheels/black Performance spoiler and the white paint. However, had several recent cars that were white. Since this was a new car purchase in a long time (others were used and I don’t care about color when buying used), wanted something different.

Silver - IMO, this is more of a gray color. My Cobra is Dark Shadow Gray and pretty similar to Midnight Silver Metallic. Although I really like the silver, I didn’t want two cars of a similar color.

Red - This is a color that looks really good on a 2-door proper sports car. (ie Ferrari, Corvette, etc.) Doesn’t look as good on a 4-door sedan.

Blue - Never had a blue car. Electricity and blue seem to go together....a Model 3 is an EV. So, this is what I went with. :D

• Funny
Reactions: jdr93
I’m partial to the red but we also just added the blue one. In my opinion the red and blue cars need the silver wheels, we removed sonic grey wheels from the blue car and added the silver to make it pop.
B2D5216D-C2A0-430A-B18A-10F9A3738762.jpeg
49AA50EE-61A1-4141-AF42-A7311AFBECEC.jpeg

373AD379-247B-4C20-A783-13458E9EA029.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamin
This is exactly the responses I was hoping for, thanks guys!

Surprised by the amount of pro white interiors. White interior was never an option to me, not once. Dont like the appearance personally and I just know if never be able to keep it clean, it would end up with 5th wheel grease on it or something one day so for me the black interior is set in stone, which I think is another reason I want the high contrast red exterior vs a darker blue.

Do red cars still fade like they used to? Years ago I had an xr3i and yeah every panel was a different shade thanks to the sun but I didn't think that was really an issue these days?

Great suggestion about sitting at a super charger actually. I might have to do that if I can make it part of my work commute so its not classed as an unnecessary journey

Love the pictures too guys. Great to see. Thanks!
Modern basecoat-clearcoat systems hold up very well. I read someone saying in this thread that the red oxidizes more than other colors but that has no basis on reality because the clearcoat is exactly the same regardless of base color so it makes no difference as far as oxidation.

I can never have a red car, family superstition going back 40 years!
Had a red Maxi back in the day which was a pig from day one for my dad. Since then, he drove it into our heads never to buy a red car!
I mean, it was a Maxi, of course it would break! He didn't tell us that part!

So I got blue, washed yesterday!

Attachments

• Tesla_Jan21.jpg
    Tesla_Jan21.jpg
    987.5 KB · Views: 199
Reactions: Jamin
My neighbour (the one with the slow Aston Martin) also has a green Lamborghini. On seeing my blue/white, he wished his Lambo was the same combo. Sadly I can’t quite keep pace with it, but one out of two will do!

Red with black here, really suits the new 21 de-chrome look :cool:

I agree with this. I was torn between red and blue myself, ended up going for blue for my 2020 Model 3 with chrome accents. I think it looks pretty smart and suits the overall look of the vehicle. For me, though, there's something about the new updated red 2021 performance with uberturbines that's really attractive. I seem to prefer the blue with chrome and red without.

Reactions: Jamin and RedUn