Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue or white?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having a hard time deciding. I've always wanted a blue car, and blue is my favorite color. But every time I would see a new Model S in white it would just catch my eye. Most of the cars I've owned have been dark gray, red, silver or light blue. Currently I own a gunmetal gray Nissan, red Mustang and light blue Odyssey (silver civic leaving for the Model 3). My wife's favorite color is blue too but the other day she saw a picture of a Model 3 in white and now she's strongly recommending I get white.

I like being able to see the lines on a white one, but I also like the way the blue shines in the light. I'm not as much worried about the colors getting dirty as I will keep it garaged and it never rains in CA but that could be a small factor.

I know color is ultimately a personal preference but I wanted to get opinions out there and see if anyone else had a tough time deciding between two colors. If I could see them side by side in person, I would have a much better idea of what I want. I've seen a number of them with glances, lots of blue, red, gray ones, one silver, but I haven't seen a white in person even at a glance.

Borrowed some shots from the production car delivery thread to help put them side by side:

white_M3.jpg

blue_M3.jpg

Yea I'm mainly looking to see if anyone else had a tough time deciding between two colors and if they had any other factors to consider when deciding that may be interesting. My plan is to go with blue still but white is intriguing enough that I keep looking back at these pictures to try and get a better idea.

For me, blue changes the look of the car by making it look more rounded, stubbier and less sleek. I'd say go for the white, especially since you're wavering and your wife likes white. I'm in the same predicament as you since I like black (actually grey-- but my S is grey so I want my 3 in a different colour) but my wife likes white. Seeing it in white has also convinced me to get it in that colour.

If you live in a sunny climate, blue is a beautiful color. If you live in a climate where you have a lot of gray dark days, then blue is a dull dark color. I also hesitated to take blue, but we have a lot of gray days here and went for pearl white with white interior. In my opinion the best combination for Model 3.

Reactions: Scelto
Blue generally have worse resale if that is a concern. I think it’s a great color and blue is an uncommon color for all cars. I love the white, it’s what I have, but it’s for sure the most color Tesla color around me.

If you live in a sunny climate, blue is a beautiful color. If you live in a climate where you have a lot of gray dark days, then blue is a dull dark color. I also hesitated to take blue, but we have a lot of gray days here and went for pearl white with white interior. In my opinion the best combination for Model 3.

I feel the opposite. The blue looks really good without sun but crap in direct sunlight.

Blue generally have worse resale if that is a concern. I think it’s a great color and blue is an uncommon color for all cars. I love the white, it’s what I have, but it’s for sure the most color Tesla color around me.
Except that the facts show this to not be true:

The colors that are more likely to ding your vehicle’s resale value or here: Yellow Brings The Most Green: Colors That Boost A Vehicle’s Resale Value

The study was done over 3 years from 2017-2020.

White is a popular color that people buy, especially in the luxury vehicle market, but resale-wise, blue depreciates less than white.

Reactions: TBrownTX
1 study is not fact. Interesting read though. I have always, and I mean always heard the Benz, and most other luxury cars sell the worst in blue, by dealers themselves.

Yellow being the least depreciated? That might have to do with the fact that most yellow colors are on highly desirable cars to begin with.

I wouldn’t be surprised that blue isn’t really a resale issue for Teslas and in any case wet aren’t talking about a lot of difference anyway, if there is one.

I say get the Blue if you like it - you see far fewer Teslas in blue than other colors in my experience.

1 study is not fact. Interesting read though. I have always, and I mean always heard the Benz, and most other luxury cars sell the worst in blue, by dealers themselves.

Yellow being the least depreciated? That might have to do with the fact that most yellow colors are on highly desirable cars to begin with.

I wouldn’t be surprised that blue isn’t really a resale issue for Teslas and in any case wet aren’t talking about a lot of difference anyway, if there is one.

I say get the Blue if you like it - you see far fewer Teslas in blue than other colors in my experience.
Ok, so a study conducted over 3 years across all segments of styles and OEM's, fails to meet your definition of a fact? Not sure what would meet your definition at this point?

I'll just post these "demonstrably verifiable stats" for both SUV's and coupe's color depreciation (which covers all Tesla Models) for everyone else to see:
Screenshot_20211127-194246.png
Screenshot_20211127-194223.png