Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue Origin - Booster Reuse - New Shepard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BE-3 uses a tab-off cycle (the turbine is run with hot gases tapped off from the main combustion chamber). BE-3U -which is meant for New Glenn, uses an expander cycle (heated gaseous fuel from engine's cooling lines powers the turbine). BE-3U is practically new engine design.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Thanks for your correction, I forgot that microgravity would persist after apogee.

5 minutes of microgravity: okay, that’s it, sign me up! ;)

In reality, the Vomit Comet is likely the only microgravity I’ll ever experience. It’s on my Bucket LIst.
It should be a little longer than that. The moment the engine stops there is a weightless sensation. There will be some form of movement when the capsule releases from the booster too. After that, the weightless sensation should last until the drogue chutes deploy. There will be some time used to get into and out of your seat during that weightless period but it seemed to be a lot more than 1 minute and 23 seconds.

Here is the timeline:
liftoff 0:00
MaxQ :50
MECO 2:20 weightlessness - still in seats
Sep 2:40 free to get out of seats
Apogee 4:05
Touchdown booster 7:30
Capsule drogues 8:15
Capsule landing 10:10

So I'd say you'd get about 5 minutes of good weightless playtime and a little less than 6:00 of weightlessness. It all depends on how much time they give you to get in and out of your seats. The capsule hitting the denser part of the atmosphere would generate some feeling of weight.

Overall, I'd take New Shepard over Virgin Galactic any day and I expect that the price will be less for New Shepard than VG too. If you just want the sensation of weightlessness then the Vomit Comet costs $5400 for 15 weightless hop maneuvers at 20 to 30 seconds each. So 5 minutes of overall weightless time. $156K to rent the plane for an exclusive flight. You don't get to the edge of space and you also are officially an astronaut with New Shepard since you technically went to space.

Reactions: Joerg
After that, the weightless sensation should last until the drogue chutes deploy.
So I'd say you'd get about 5 minutes of good weightless playtime and a little less than 6:00 of weightlessness.
You missed the step where the capsule smacks into the top of the atmosphere somewhere before its maximum velocity. At 6:15 the booster is already experiencing 1 gee, 2500 mph, 70,000 ft. It slow down quickly thereafter. The capsule is certainly decelerating strongly by this time since it is much less aerodynamic than the booster.

When they switch back to the capsule at 7:49 it's already decelerated to terminal velocity -- 237 mph. Drogues don't come out until 8:17.

• Informative
They should be back in their seats by about 5:20. Around 5:30 you start getting meaningful aerodynamic drag. Wedge fins deployed around 5:35, and at around the same time you start seeing the booster pull away from the capsule (due to the capsule having greater drag per kg).

So between approximately between 2:40 and 5:20 they can move around. 2 minutes and 40 seconds, basically.

Reactions: evp and Electroman
Their booster hovers quite a bit before landing, I wonder if that decreases damage to the booster and why Spacex doesn't hover their boosters before landing?

New Shepherd is a sub orbital vehicle with far less mission requirements. It is almost a toy in comparison to a falcon 9. The Falcon 9 needs to conserve as much propellant as possible since it is running close to the design limits of what it can achieve. There are some missions where they simply can’t return the booster because the mission requires too much fuel for the primary mission. So the Falcon 9 doesn’t waste any fuel because it can’t afford to.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
Their booster hovers quite a bit before landing, I wonder if that decreases damage to the booster and why Spacex doesn't hover their boosters before landing?
If you watch an F9 RTLS landing video you will note that in the final half second before touchdown the booster is barely moving. I can see no utility to decreasing the landing speed to an even lower value.

And what @Cosmacelf said. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies

The minimum thrust of one Falcon 9 engine is greater than the weight of the landing F9 first stage, so they cannot hover. They must instead get velocity to equal zero at the same moment when the height equals zero.

(at least that was true on previous engines, maybe block 5 can throttle back more)

The minimum thrust of one Falcon 9 engine is greater than the weight of the landing F9 first stage, so they cannot hover. They must instead get velocity to equal zero at the same moment when the height equals zero.

(at least that was true on previous engines, maybe block 5 can throttle back more)
Was about to say the same thing, and it's still true, as far as I can determine. A single Merlin at 40% output still has around 38.4 metric tons of thrust, while an empty Falcon 9 first stage weighs something like 22 metric tons.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Grendal and mongo
Also the reason provided by Cosmacelf holds true. For maximum fuel efficiency, you want to wait as long as possible before initiating the landing burn, meaning you want to pull as many Gs as possible in the landing burn, and then perfectly have speed and height be zero at the same time. This allows the atmosphere to do as much braking as possible, and decreases the time you are working against gravity.

This is why some Falcon 9 landing burns use three Merlins - means they have very little fuel left over for landing.

• Informative
I doubt that New Glenn will be able to hover though they do suggest it will do so in their video. I expect it will have the same issue as F9: too much power. The BE-4 is a big engine. It would probably need a huge number like 90% throttling capability to be able to hover. 90% is a crazy number to pull off with an orbital class rocket engine.

I doubt that New Glenn will be able to hover though they do suggest it will do so in their video. I expect it will have the same issue as F9: too much power. The BE-4 is a big engine. It would probably need a huge number like 90% throttling capability to be able to hover. 90% is a crazy number to pull off with an orbital class rocket engine.
At 10% output, would it also run into the issue of the exhaust (at the exit of the bell) being below ambient pressure?

New Shepherd is a sub orbital vehicle with far less mission requirements. It is almost a toy in comparison to a falcon 9. The Falcon 9 needs to conserve as much propellant as possible since it is running close to the design limits of what it can achieve. There are some missions where they simply can’t return the booster because the mission requires too much fuel for the primary mission. So the Falcon 9 doesn’t waste any fuel because it can’t afford to.
Worse than that. Even a single Merlin, throttled back as far as it can be, generates more thrust than the weight of the almost-empty F9 booster. So it literally can't hover. It has to decelerate to zero-zero (close, anyway) then shut down to land. This used to be referred to as "hover-slam", IIRC.

Barely a news blip, on Wednesday more Deja Vu all over again for Jeff and the gang at BO. The New Shepard launch starts at the 40:00 minute mark. It almost seems that Jeff and Sir Richard are in a race to the bottom to be the last space company to fly passengers sub-orbital.