Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue Origin setting up shop in Cape Canaveral

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that the next Blue Origin rocket is going to be so large that over the road transport isn't practical.

That is likely to be an issue for SpaceX as well for their next launcher. There were rumors that SpaceX was going to build them in Louisiana and move them by barge to Florida and/or their proposed site in Texas.

My understanding is that the next Blue Origin rocket is going to be so large that over the road transport isn't practical.

That is likely to be an issue for SpaceX as well for their next launcher. There were rumors that SpaceX was going to build them in Louisiana and move them by barge to Florida and/or their proposed site in Texas.

CargoLifter - Wikipedia
"This service was based on the development of a heavy lift airship, the CL160, a 550,000 m3 vessel designed to carry a 160-tonne payload.

Unfortunately:
"The airship was never built and the company went bankrupt in 2002."

But there is hope:
Worldwide Aeros Corp - Wikipedia

"The larger ML868 model will be 770 feet (230 m) in length and carry 250 tons,"

Falcon 9 FT – Rockets
Falcon 9 FT Stage 1
Inert Mass ~22,200 kg (est.)

Reactions: Grendal
Off topic for a BO thread but Elon just tweeted that the "mini" BFR/BFS can be built in Hawthorne. He said it would be a 9 meter circumference rocket.
Falcon 9 FT – Rockets
Falcon 9 FT (Falcon 9 v1.2)
Diameter 3.66 m

-> 11.5 m circumference

I found a tweet from Elon Musk‏:
"A 9m diameter vehicle fits in our existing factories ..."

If same length, empty weight would be 130 000 kg. Perhaps longer with 150 000 kg.
I guess that is not too heavy for roads, but will it fit?

Falcon 9 FT – Rockets
Falcon 9 FT (Falcon 9 v1.2)
Diameter 3.66 m

-> 11.5 m circumference

I found a tweet from Elon Musk‏:
"A 9m diameter vehicle fits in our existing factories ..."

If same length, empty weight would be 130 000 kg. Perhaps longer with 150 000 kg.
I guess that is not too heavy for roads, but will it fit?

Certainly not on normal roads. They would be into all manner of overpasses and electrical services. But maybe there are some specific roads that work well for massively overheight loads???