Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue Ridge Parkway Fall Foilage Route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I are planning to take a trip down to see the fall foliage on blue ridge parkway. I was wondering if any of you have driven parts of it and how charging works. We are from NJ so we won't be able to drive the entire blue ridge parkway. Because our time is limited we were planning:

-Friday: drive town to the beginning
-Saturday: drive parts of the route
-Sunday: head back towards NJ

Any tips?

I have driven almost the whole Blue Ridge in my P85D. If you go far enough south the Asheville Supercharger is now open. Boone, NC has a Destination Charger at a Japanese restaurant (whose owner has one of the very first P85's, his before badging was even used, worth a stop for sure). In a number of towns and cities beside the route there are L3 and sometimes CHAdeMO available. Some of those do get ICE'd, especially at peak times. I recommend to check Plugshare and call for confirmation before choosing a charging location. I did that based on anther tesla driver input and was happy I did. It is no problem, but you'll have some stops for meals and/or village wandering while your car gets fed. There are also a handful of Select Registry B&B's along the way, almost all of which have Destination Chargers, but most of them charge non-B&B residents.

Reactions: Cyclone
I did a 5.5k mile road trip this summer, including coming down much of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I did find it someone inconvenient to finding charging along the parkway. I ended up going out to the superchargers along I-81, as well as using destination charging. You do lose quite a bit of time/distance leaving the parkway to get to superchargers. I found the same thing as my experience in northern Ontario (when you are away from superchargers)--it's best to plan in advance and book all your travel night's lodgings at places with charging available. PlugShare app is great to find them. One full overnight charge can pretty much cover a days driving, if you are gently cruising the parkway (speed avg=45), and the whole purpose includes frequent stops for a half-hour or hour hike here and there. The parkway has so many beautiful stops. One should not simply breeze through--trying to cover as much distance as possible in a day. The interstates are for that. Enjoy. -Alex

I live not far from the northern point of the BRP (Front Royal, VA). A fall foliage drive is absolutely stunning, but be prepared for crowds and congestion. The parkway speed limit is 35 mph, which is just right to accommodate the twisting turns and beautiful sights. My suggestion would be to top up at the Tesla SC station in Strasburg, VA (on I-81) right before getting on the BRP. There is a Free Electric Charge Station in Waynesboro (perhaps ~100 miles south along the Parkway, which is a long day on the Parkway given all the sights and photo ops), or just a bit further south, again on I-81, is another Tesla SC station at Lexington, VA.

We drove the parkway from Asheville to the intersection with I-77 in late June. There is a free Chademo charger in Boone, NC near the university. The large hills will fool with the energy consumption, giving you big ups and downs on the energy graph. We once saw a projected range over a 30 mile average of 999 miles from the regen. Open the top, put on some good tunes (you will need a USB as there are large gaps in cellular coverage), and enjoy the view!

Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I are planning to take a trip down to see the fall foliage on blue ridge parkway. I was wondering if any of you have driven parts of it and how charging works. We are from NJ so we won't be able to drive the entire blue ridge parkway. Because our time is limited we were planning:

Any tips?
Boone, NC has a HPWC at the Japanese Steakhouse which is only about 5min off the parkway.

Zinger! Nice one.

But seriously, since you are obviously in-the-know on the problems with USB audio in v8, can you please join us and jump on our bandwagon and email Tesla, echoing the 10 or so legitimate bugs that are keeping USB audio from being useful?
I just finished sitting in my car for a while playing with the media player and writing down a list of problems (not just with USB). My
wife came out, rolled her eyes with the now-familiar what-inexplicable-Tesla-obsession-behavior-are-you-exhibiting-now? look and
asked what I was doing sitting in the car in the dark. "Noting media player bugs", I replied. "Well, of course!", says she ;)

Smokeys.JPG
Hey guys,

Any tips?

There are Chademo chargers at both ends of the mountain. If you have a chademo adapter make sure you get a Greenlots RFID card beforehand and add some $$$ on the account as you can't do it up there. There is absolutely no cell phone reception. Other than that , it's georgious !!!

View attachment 197274

There are Chademo chargers at both ends of the mountain. If you have a chademo adapter make sure you get a Greenlots RFID card beforehand and add some $$$ on the account as you can't do it up there. There is absolutely no cell phone reception. Other than that , it's georgious !!!
This is true!!! Get your Greenlots first, even though there might be a loner available, that depends on finding the person who nows where it is. Easier to have your own before. No cellular connections!!! I was told that and ignored perfectly sound advice. Please do not emulate me if you expect to use one or both of these excellent locations.

You can see representative parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway 60 miles on both sides of Asheville - Richland Balsam Overlook 60 miles to the south (the highest point on the Parkway at over 6,000 feet) to Mount Mitchell 55 miles to the north ( over a mile high, the highest mountain in the US east of the Rockies. However, the best part of the Blue Ridge Parkway is between Mount Mitchel and Boone to the north.

If you want to see some of the most unspoiled, beautiful mountain country anywhere (the locals call it God's country), I would suggest the following day long itinerary since you are coming from the north. Take the interstate to Wytheville Va. where there is a supercharger and it is a convenient place to spend the night. In the morning drive from Wytheville to Boone, NC via primarily US 21 and US 221 through Mouth of Wilson VA, Shatley Springs, NC (have lunch there is the restaurant is open), West Jefferson and on into Boone (about 90 total miles and a leisurely 2 hours). The roads are made for you to enjoy your Tesla and the colors are absolutely beautiful. Peak colors can usually be seen the third and fourth week iof October, depending on altitude and how dry the summer has been.

There is a Tesla HPWC charger at the Makoto's Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar restaurant in Boone (patron's only, so you will have to buy something, but the food is good). With an S90D, you shouldn't really have to charge between Wytheville and Asheville.

From Boone, drive south on US 321, and pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway just north of Blowing Rock (which is beautiful in its own right, and a great place to spend the night if you get a late start). Notable scenic attractions along the Parkway are Grandfather Mountain, Linville Falls, Crabtree Meadows, Mount Mitchell (a must if it isn't in the clouds), Craggy Gardens and down into Asheville. The trip from Boone to Asheville via the Blue Ridge Parkway is around 95 miles and will take 2.5 to three hours , depending on how often you stop. Have your camera at the ready. The scenery is breathtaking. I grew up in Asheville (I live in the central part of the state now but have a mountain house just off the Parkway in Roaring Gap), so I may be prejudiced, but I have traveled all over the world, and I find this area to be equivalent in natural, unspoiled beauty to the Ice Fields Parkway in western Canada and Milford Sound in southern New Zealand.

You absolutely must spend the night in Asheville. If your budget allows, stay at the Grove Park Inn or on the Biltmore Estate. Check out Downtown Asheville at night. It is a happening place (Pack Square on a weekend in particular). During leaf season, reservations are a must.

The next day, don't miss the Biltmore House and Gardens built by George Vanderbilt, one of the largest privately owned great houses in the US, which rivals many of the great chateaus in Europe.

The supercharger in Asheville is well located close to the Biltmore Estate, and is fast and generally not crowded.

Hey guys,

Any tips?

A few more things. You need to add at least one more day to your trip (preferably two). Three days simply are not enough, even if you were driving interstate the entire time. First, it is 545 miles and 10 hours (with charging) from New Jersey to Wytheville, Va. (which is a convenient place to spend the night because the Supercharger is located at a Holiday Inn Express). Second, the Blue Ridge Parkway has a 45 mph speed limit and can be even slower with a bunch of RVs (Road Vermin) and drivers unfamiliar with navigating mountain roads. Third, if you can swing it, go during the week. Both the Parkway and Asheville can be extremely congested on the weekends during leaf season

A suggested alternative itinerary would be to drive to Wytheville the first day. Drive the mountain roads and Parkway to Asheville the second day. Spend the third day day in Asheville. If you are up to it (712 miles and 13.5 hours with charging), drive I-26, I-81, and I-78 back home with beaucoup Superchargers along the way. If not, spend a night along the way if you get tired.

Enjoy!

EV Trip Planner

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd
This is true!!! Get your Greenlots first, even though there might be a loner available, that depends on finding the person who nows where it is. Easier to have your own before. No cellular connections!!! I was told that and ignored perfectly sound advice. Please do not emulate me if you expect to use one or both of these excellent locations.

I must be missing it. Greenlots.com is selling software to manage fleets of EVSEs. I don't see where they are running their own network or how to apply for an RFID card. Anyone have a URL they want to share?