Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue Ridge Parkway in NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will be in Asheville, NC overnight next week then need to continue on to Newport News, VA. Unexpected trip and not familiar with the areas at all. Would like to charge up at the Asheville Super Charger in the morning and take the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) north from Asheville to Virginia or wherever it makes most sense to get off the Parkway and head east to arrive in Newport News that evening. Have just started researching this to see if and where charging would be available and how far along the Parkway we could get before having to get off. (There is a restaurant in Boone that has a Tesla Charger) Has anyone driven the BRP and do you have any advise/input on what to expect? Thanks.

I have driven Blue Ridge several times. The Boone Japanese restaurant is owned by one of the first even Tesla P85, so early that his never even came with badging. In Asheville there are numerous lodging choices that have BEV charging available, and along the Parkway in both directions there are charging points making it easy to stop for a meal or overnight and have charging. Check PlugShare for reference in addition to Tesla and you'll have no problems. Of course you'll climb and descend constantly so your expected range will rise and fall equally constantly.

There are quite a few Tesla owners along the way too. For me this is one of my favorite drives, so I do it at least once a year. Also, if you can stand it staying at the Inn on Biltmore Estate is a pricy but delightful experience. They do have BEV charging, located where nobody much sees it. During my several stays there one charger has often occupied by a local Nissan Leaf but I have never failed to get a complete overnight charge. It's only five minutes from Asheville Supercharger anyway.

Reactions: puckpurnell
Beautiful ride....I have done it several time on my BMW R1200gsLC motorcycle when I go from Irvine, CA to Atlanta. My grandmother lived in Greenville, SC and the other in Charlotte.....Fun ride on the bike and I always go on the Tale of the Dragon ride too.....enjoy.

The BRP is a great drive and it’s just a mile or two down the road from the Asheville Supercharger. It would be great to hop on the Parkway and head to the northern terminus around Charlottesville, then take I-64 east to Newport News. The problem is that there are no superchargers near the BRP except in Asheville ad Charlottesville, and I’m not sure what kind of ride you’ve got, but even a Raven 100D can’t make the whole trip without stopping to charge, which will mean a half-day of charging at least, at level 2 speeds.

One good option, if your schedule permits, might be to find a place to stay with any level 2 charging (Tesla destination charging even better) somewhere close to halfway between Asheville and Charlottesville, and charge up overnight. Once you get to Charlottesville, you’ll be out of the Supercharger desert and have a straight shot on into the Peninsula. Taking the BRP all the way up into VA in one day, without superchargers, is a little tough but I bet you could make it happen with some strategic charging.

The drive sure is worth it though. My avatar picture was taken at Hominy Valley, just about 5 miles west of Asheville on the BRP. On the way east out of Asheville, Craggy Gardens is a great sight with hundred mile views. The drive is such a great one that it seems worth it to bend your schedule around it if possible. After all, like @ewoodrick said, it’s a slow drive (avg 45 mph) so it is already going to take way longer than taking the Interstate to get to the Tidewater area.

• Informative
Along the drive between Asheville and the northern terminus of the Blue Ridge there are numerous charging options at restaurants, hotels/inns and even some municipal parking. Blowing Rock, for instance, has at least four overnight accommodations that have Tesla Destination chargers. Regardless of which model Tesla you have there are plenty of charging options that can give a full charge overnight, and also top off during a leisurely lunch.

In sum, if you are taking the Blue Ridge for scenery and bucolic charm you have quite decent charging choices. If not, you’d be making the trip on Interstates that have Supercharging where you need it .

In my several Tesla trips along the Blue Ridge since early 2015 in my P85D and later in P3D I have never had any problem charging, with L2 options proliferating regularly. Even in the early 2015 trip I managed to charge where I wanted to spend time anyway. Now the only problem is deciding where you want to stop overnight, have a meal or wander a quaint municipality. Almost all the options are on PlugShare and all the Destination chargers are there too.

BTW, if you’re impatient there are a handful of CHAdeMO along the way, mostly around Nissan concentrations. Now the M3 uses CHAdeMO and in rural areas like these I have not yet found a Nissan dealer which would not allow a Tesla to charge. My technique has been to call ahead and remember to eulogize the Leaf.
Frankly this option is no longer needed there, but it is much faster than the L2s

• Informative
Wait, what? Is the Leaf cancelled?
verb
  1. praise highly in speech or writing.
    "a plaque that eulogizes the workers"
    synonyms: praise enthusiastically, go into raptures about/over, wax lyrical about, sing the praises of, praise to the skies, heap praise on, rhapsodize about/over, rave about/over, enthuse about/over, gush about/over, throw bouquets at, express delight over, acclaim, extol;
    informalgo wild about, be mad about, go on about;
    informalbig someone/something up;
    informalballyhoo;
    datedcry someone/something up;
    rarelaud, panegyrize
    "the police eulogized the positive effect of speed cameras"

It's true that the verb is often used with reference to post-mortem praise, it actually is a general term of praise, as the definition makes clear. OTOH, The Leaf may be suffering from serious illness, but nowhere near death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Do stop at Boone at Makoto's. Ronald gave me my first Tesla grin in 2014. Top off there. Then on to the Lexington SC. Remember you will be 45 mph or less.
I was negligent in not mentioning Makoto and Ronald specifically. Again, Ronald bought his Model S P85 back at the end of 2012 when the badging did nto yet exist, Superchargers were pressurizing intake on ICE, and no support anywhere within a days distance from Boone had service. He has stories! Take the time, buy lunch there and induce Ronald to tell you about it.