Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue Speed tape turned red under acceleration??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New 70D owner here, did a search without finding anything related. Yesterday, I decided to annoy a bro-truck driver for a bit. Under hard acceleration, I heard a short beep sound and looked down and saw a red line where the blue speed tape indication would be. Only saw it for a second, and I can't say for sure that it replaced the blue, or was just outside of it. The performance of the car felt normal. Has anyone else seen this, or know what I'm talking about?
Thanks.

New 70D owner here, did a search without finding anything related. Yesterday, I decided to annoy a bro-truck driver for a bit. Under hard acceleration, I heard a short beep sound and looked down and saw a red line where the blue speed tape indication would be. Only saw it for a second, and I can't say for sure that it replaced the blue, or was just outside of it. The performance of the car felt normal. Has anyone else seen this, or know what I'm talking about?
Thanks.

You sure it wasn't the blindspot/side collision alarm?

According to what I've read, the normally white blind spot warning at the bottom outside of the ring will turn red and the car will beep if it thinks you're moving into the lane.

Also, at really high speeds the digital speed will apparently turn red from the Autobahn videos.
Walter

Sorry- I meant the blue speed indicator that visually indicates your speed- didn't know what else to call it. In an airplane you would call it a speed tape, so that's the best I could do. I read somewhere that 100% of Tesla buyers are pilots.

Sounds like it was the blind spot warning I guess- although I was solidly in my lane (so now I will call it the BS warning, for short). Perhaps the truck was too close? I thought it only comes on if the turn signal is on, no? Thought I had all the annoying nanny's turned off, but I just checked and the BS warning is in fact 'on'.
Thanks for the help.

Sorry- I meant the blue speed indicator that visually indicates your speed- didn't know what else to call it. In an airplane you would call it a speed tape, so that's the best I could do. I read somewhere that 100% of Tesla buyers are pilots.

Sounds like it was the blind spot warning I guess- although I was solidly in my lane (so now I will call it the BS warning, for short). Perhaps the truck was too close? I thought it only comes on if the turn signal is on, no? Thought I had all the annoying nanny's turned off, but I just checked and the BS warning is in fact 'on'.
Thanks for the help.

Nope, I've had it go off several times when someone is drifting into my lane.

Thanks for the help.

It comes on whenever it thinks you're headed towards being hit in your blind spot, turn signal or no. might be you drifting, might be the car in your blind spot drifting, might be the lane line recognition algorithm /thinking/ that you're drifting, but confused about where the edge of the lane really is for some reason.

I get the blind spot grey warning sometimes from the spray from my own wheels on a wet road...and the red alert if I'm steering into it.

Ha- I knew it.
Thanks to all for the info. Not sure if that truck was coming towards my lane, or it was just so huge (F-350 duelly), that the sensors got nervous.

In my car the number indicating the speed turns red above 145 miles/h. You would most probably remember if you were going that fast. :scared: If that is not the case, there are 2 more red "things" you might have seen. The blind spot warning goes off in 2 red lines when you get too close to another vehicle in your blind spot and the collision warning goes off with a red crash icon in the middle of the dashboard when you are on a collision course with a car in front of you. In both cases you will hear a sound sample as well.

This is true ... we are all pilots. And we call it speed tape because not only are we pilots, we are also all trained in digital cockpit systems. And have our instrument rating. It helps when driving the Model S in fog.

All good except that there are a lot of disoriented VFR pilots in the soup on the same airway, same altitude, approaching at 12 o'clock on the opposite heading. And the TCAS in the Model S is a little rudimentary as yet! :)

All good except that there are a lot of disoriented VFR pilots in the soup on the same airway, same altitude, approaching at 12 o'clock on the opposite heading. And the TCAS in the Model S is a little rudimentary as yet! :)

Actually, judging by how people drive in California, the correct analogy would be there seems to be a lot of people who didn't pass their solo ... but they are still driving on our highways.

While we are on a tangent, I really don't want to see our speed/power tape go away in 7.0. Right now, it seems that is the proposed design.

- K

This is true ... we are all pilots. And we call it speed tape because not only are we pilots, we are also all trained in digital cockpit systems. And have our instrument rating. It helps when driving the Model S in fog.

Does this mean I have to file and get a clearance when driving MS in IMC?

But it is true about pilots. I was at a local Tesla lunch meeting here in Charlotte, and I think 3 or 4 of us out about 8 - roughly 50% had pilot's licenses. I thought that I would be all cool having previously owned a Mooney, and both a fixed wing and rotary wing commercial/instrument ticket, but I was quickly trumped by other TMS drivers that had more upmarket aircraft, and more flight time. ;)

]Thought I had all the annoying nanny's turned off, but I just checked and the BS warning is in fact 'on'.

Some of the nanny's turn on automatically every time you start the car. So turning it off would only apply to that driving session. I don't have BSD on my car, so I couldn't tell if you this is one of those that behave this way.

- - - Updated - - -

Does this mean I have to file and get a clearance when driving MS in IMC?

But it is true about pilots. I was at a local Tesla lunch meeting here in Charlotte, and I think 3 or 4 of us out about 8 - roughly 50% had pilot's licenses. I thought that I would be all cool having previously owned a Mooney, and both a fixed wing and rotary wing commercial/instrument ticket, but I was quickly trumped by other TMS drivers that had more upmarket aircraft, and more flight time. ;)

I'm the oddball out in that I've only logged about 15 minutes in 1990s era MS Flight Simulator and nothing else.