Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue Star Wish List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range will be driven by cost which will be driven by technology. TSLA can build a car with 600 miles range right now. But it will cost more than a Roadster and few people will buy it.

If they offered 600 mile range for like 20k more, I think I'd bite. Zero range anxiety at that point. 600 miles @ 60MPH is 10 hours of driving. Plenty for roadtripping.

Panasonic Develops High-Capacity Lithium-Ion Battery Cells That Can Power Laptops and Electric Vehicles | Headquarters News | Panasonic Global
Looks like the 4.0 cells are scheduled to come out next year. That press announcement was 2 years ago. Have they had any more recent news on next generation cells in 2014 and beyond?

Since the bluestar won't come out until 2014 or 2015, I could see the 3.4 or 4.0 cells being used.

I'm guessing the Model X might use the 4.0 cells. They say that They'll be produced during fiscal 2013 (which runs March 2012-March 2013). Given that the Model X is slated to arrive about 9 months after fiscal 2013 ends, it seems plausible they'll be ready for use. It might be how they'll get similar range as the current Model S packs -- and it may even lead to range improvements in newer Model S's

If they offered 600 mile range for like 20k more, I think I'd bite. Zero range anxiety at that point. 600 miles @ 60MPH is 10 hours of driving. Plenty for roadtripping.

At the current rate of charging $10K for each 70 mile bump in range, an extra 300 miles would cost an additional $43,000. So the 170 kWh Model S would start at $113,000 before any options.

But look at the bright side, the 0-60 time might be as fast or faster than the Performance version.

Even at 113k it's similarly priced as a Fisker Karma and can go further than it (on gas and battery combined). A panamera turbo is priced much higher (IIRC). I'm just saying, I don't want to give Tesla any ideas (to inflate prices), but people currently pay more for less -- they might be surprised by how many bite...

Even at 113k it's similarly priced as a Fisker Karma and can go further than it (on gas and battery combined). A panamera turbo is priced much higher (IIRC). I'm just saying, I don't want to give Tesla any ideas (to inflate prices), but people currently pay more for less -- they might be surprised by how many bite...

Building on your point, I think you've got a strong case for a Model R with a 500 or 600 mile range.

The only "downside" is it will be carrying around 1,800 pounds and 70% of the time the average person won't use 10% of the battery.

Building on your point, I think you've got a strong case for a Model R with a 500 or 600 mile range.

The only "downside" is it will be carrying around 1,800 pounds and 70% of the time the average person won't use 10% of the battery.
I'd imagine they'd try and keep the weight about what it is now. The increase in kWh would be with more advanced chemistry than more cells.

Did you build into your calculations that the 3rd Generation vehicle won't be targeting 25% Gross Profit Margin?

A higher production volume vehicle won't need the same GPM as the Model S to be profitable. Maybe they won't have to cut the battery pack down so much. I don't think they will offer a car with less than 150 miles range at 55 MPH ever. That would be a step back and they're trying to push technology forward. Just my opinion.

Taking a different approach to the BlueStar discussion . . .

When I have spoken to Tesla they have consistently and repeatedly said that BlueStar will target a BMW 3-series. The base price has always been around $35,000 ($42,500 before the Federal tax credit). {Stripped down BMW 328i is $34,600 as a base} Their rationale is that Tesla is a premium product, they don't want to dilute their brand, it should be aspirational, etc. At $35,000 they will be about $5,000 more than the Leaf and $2,500 more than a basic Volt. So they can still compete head to head with those cars.

The base Model S is $57,400 so to chop the price down to $42,400 - a 26% reduction - they are going to have to chop their greatest expense - the battery. The battery cost to the consumer is roughly $400-$500 per kWh presently (cost to Tesla is less than this but they have gross margins they have promised Wall Street), so let's call it $450 per kWh.. Of the $57,400 Model S price, a minimum of $18,000 or nearly one-third of the car's cost is the battery. There is no way that Tesla can chop the Model S by 26% without chopping the battery.

So the battery must be reduced by 25% from 40 kWh to 30 kWh and this reduces the cost (at retail) by $4,500.
If we assume a 20% reduction in battery costs between now and then that would get us roughly a (20% x $450 x 30) $2,700 reduction in price.

So that gets us $7,200 in retail price reductions with a remaining $7,800 to go.

Now we've just slashed the battery 25% but we don't want range to fall all the way from 160 miles to 120 miles (even though this would still beat the Leaf by 20%). So now while cutting costs, we'd also like to increase range. So the next thing to do is cut the size and weight of the car. Cutting the size of the car will reduce the Area of the car leading to lower cdA and better highway range. Cutting the weight of the car will improve city range.

Vehicle // Height // Track // Wheelbase // Length // Curb Weight
Model S // 56.5" // 65.4" // 116.5" // 195.9" // 3,825# (40 kWh)
BlueStar* // <56" // <60" // <104" // <174" // ~3,300#
* my projections
328i // 55.9" // 59.1" // 106.7" // 178.2" // 3,428#
CT200h // 56.7" // 60" // 102.4" // 170.1" // 3,146#
Prius // 58.7" // 60" // 106.3" // 175.6" // 3,042#
Leaf // 61" // 60.6" // 106.3" // 175" // 3,354#
Volt // 56.6" // 61.2" // 105.7" // 177.1" // 3,781#

Porsche 911 // 51.3" // 60.6" // 96.5" // 176.8" // 3,086#
Roadster** // 44.4" // 58.7" // 95.1" // 155.1" // 2,723#
**current version

With regard to each of these numbers I think:
Height-wise the Model S has good headroom (Franz the designer is 6'5") for being a relatively low-slung car. I would expect the BlueStar to be shorter than the Model S (even though the Leaf is like 61" tall) because that would reduce frontal Area.

Track and Wheelbase (the rectangle between the four tires) impacts the size of the battery. Bear in mind this "skateboard" has to serve as the platform for the Model R (Roadster / Reimagined / Racing). Track would be 59"-60" - can't see it being narrower than this for (1) passenger comfort and Model R performance. Wheelbase will probably be closer to the Lexus CT200H rather than the rest of the competition, so between 102" and 106". And the Length of the car will be substantially shorter again, so between 170" and 176".

Shrinking these dimensions is necessary to reduce costs and trim weight. The vehicle will be smaller than a 3-series but can make up for that with a greater occupant area. By necessity BlueStar will be more of a "cab forward" design (like the Prius) where the windshield extends to the front axle and the rear windshield / hatchback also is a slope. I expect the back of the vehicle to look like a cross between the Lexus CT200h and the Prius. You don't want the back of the car to end in a tall hatchback because that will create drag.

BlueStar needs to look like a futuristic fluidic "bubble" (I have no doubt Franz will make it good-looking) for two reasons (1) to keep the passenger area large enough and (2) to keep drag low enough. Tesla has stated that the Model S needed to look like a traditional ICE car but that future models would look less like traditional ICE cars and more futuristic.

Cutting the dimensions will cut substantial costs for sure but a lot of the systems have to be similar in size and price regardless of the size of the car (still need two front seats, still need HVAC, etc). So I would expect that to save costs Tesla would have to reduce the number of features and options that BlueStar carries. Those fancy door handles will be gone for sure. The 17" screen will be cut in half. High quality interior trim materials will become an option package rather than standard. All the remaining cost cost have to come here.

So when all is said and done I think you end up with 3 models:

30 kWh 130-150 mile range $34,900 = base model
45 kWh 195-225 mile range $44,900 = bigger battery + substantial upgrades to make it nicer
60 kWh 260-300 mile range $54,900 = biggest battery + fit and finish of a nicely equipped Model S

For performance you will have two choices

Model R 60 kWh 260-300 mile range $99,000 0-60 in 3.4 seconds
Model R-SS $119,000 0-60 in 2.9 seconds.

Model R will be a 2+2 (where rear seats have LATCH connectors for car seats like a 911) hence no longer a pure Roadster and will be AWD with 2 motors allowing them to get the 0-60 times down. It will have a low slung height and will be a GTR killer.

Boy it is fun to speculate!

Gen III
GenIII.jpg

Wheelbase 108.3"
Over length 182.1"
Height 54"

Nice work, Eric! May I suggest to extend wheelbase by move the rear axle?
It would reduce overhang (possibly more pleasing to the eye), give more space in the rear seats, and make for a smoother ride.
Edit: oh, and lengthen the doors to ease 2nd row ingress/egress.

Would this be the coupe version of the Gen III car then? The problem with most retractable hardtop cars is almost no trunk space. The Tesla version would have the frunk though so that would make this a much better car.

Agree with all these comments Volker, Kevin and Dave!

Volker I did match rear overhang to other similar sized cars. I think it may be a bit visually fat (top to bottom) which make the rear a bit heavy.

This kind of car with a convertible (any kind) would rock with a frunk!

Nice job, Eric. I agree with everyone here. The skateboard design really does allow for advantages that an ICE just can't compete with. I wonder if Tesla will have to pay to use someone elses folding hardtop technology. Maybe it's something they could work out with Daimler, who they have a relationship with.

Convertible adds cost. I suspect that the initial version would be just a straight coupe. Cost focus: 'Cut until it bleeds, then cut once more'.

Eric, I think the doors in the mock-up are short - are there any 2+2s with doors as short as 4 door sedans? I would have the rear wheels back by 2-3", the doors longer by about 4-5". That would start to get into 911 wheelbase length and door size. (Are the Roadsters' doors longer than the 911's? Don't seem to be, but then they're lighter, so maybe? My memory of my 911 is fading, I just remember those 911 doors always seemed to be worrisome about hitting something...)

A coupe with a frunk would really put it into a class by itself.

Could they keep the same design languages when cutting the cost? Do they want to? What's the relationship with the Roadster 3.0 going to be? The styling is going to have to be different, but even then, there's always the threat of falling into the 'Boxter/Caymen is just a detuned defeatured 911' territory (not that my 911 had terribly many 'features' beyond the killer clutch, gearbox and sweet engine - for an ICE, of course, for an ICE...).