Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue Star Wish List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't agree with you more. And if they accepted reservations tomorrow I would jump at it.
I just do not want to spend the money on a Model S/X.
Maybe this is it's own thread but...
If the base price of Blue Star was $30k (after federal rebate) and all of the Model S options were available, which options would you get?

For simplicity sake, let's assume the EPA 5-cycle ranges of the variations were 60 mi, 100 mi, and 150 mi and that each upgrade jump remained $10k. So $50K (after federal rebate for the 150 mi flavor.

...RWD just feels better to me. Burnouts, power slides, drifting, just doesn't work the same with FWD...

Yes, that... And I hate torque steer. And the drive mechanism can detract from the steering feel.

( Although LEAF has shown me that FWD doens't have to be so bad. It does a fairly good job avoiding many of the typical FWD downsides. )

If the base price of Blue Star was $30k (after federal rebate) and all of the Model S options were available, which options would you get?

For simplicity sake, let's assume the EPA 5-cycle ranges of the variations were 60 mi, 100 mi, and 150 mi and that each upgrade jump remained $10k. So $50K (after federal rebate for the 150 mi flavor.

You've made the choices pretty crappy. 20K for an extra 90 miles? That's a lot more expensive than the Model S, which doesn't make any sense. I'll buy whatever the top of the line Gen III is, but only if it has a range of over 200 miles. Personally, if it's smaller and the battery tech has improved I'm hoping the top of the line has the same range as the current Model S. I'd pay 60K for that.

If that pricing was the case, I would simply be buying a 40kWh Model S.

For simplicity sake, let's assume the EPA 5-cycle ranges of the variations were 60 mi, 100 mi, and 150 mi and that each upgrade jump remained $10k.
I don't see Tesla offering a Gen3 with lower EPA ratings than most of the cars today. I'd say your ratings are off by almost half for each level, definitely for the base model.

Agreed, there is no reason to make a car with a range comparable to a Leaf. Tesla stands out because they are the only electric car on the market with an intercity range. 200 should be the minimum. I am really hoping for at least a 350-400 max range (at a premium)

I don't see Tesla offering a Gen3 with lower EPA ratings than most of the cars today. I'd say your ratings are off by almost half for each level, definitely for the base model.

Completely agree. The fact Tesla pushed Gen3 out means the battery technology will improve even more. I'm also don't believe $30k will be the target price to be at in 3-4 years. The average new car cost in 2012 is now just over $30k. By then it will be closer to $33-34k. I think Tesla just needs to come under $40k.

I'd disagree somewhat. I think there is a good market for a 150 ish range Tesla, and it may be necessary to to hit the $30K price range.

In order to keep things simple, it may make sense to just offer 2 battery packs. The Model X will have battery sizes of 60 and 85 only, so I think it is possible that the G3 Tesla will follow the same path.

I would be happy with the option for a pack w' EPA range ratings similar to what the S has today: an EPA 208 mile pack for the base model, and an EPA 265 mile pack as an option. Going above 200 miles breaks some kind of psychological barrier IMO. Combined w' a Supercharger that can go from 0-150 rated miles in 30 minutes, I think that would convince people would go for the G3 in droves.

I'm also don't believe $30k will be the target price to be at in 3-4 years.
I've always assumed the "$30K" price means anything in the $30,000 range, up to $39,999.99.
In order to keep things simple, it may make sense to just offer 2 battery packs.
Certainly possible.
I would be happy with the option for a pack w' EPA range ratings similar to what the S has today: an EPA 208 mile pack for the base model, and an EPA 265 mile pack as an option.
I hope you are correct.

I have been looking at the Bluestar Platform - UNOFFICIAL Options and Prices matrix and I really hope the 3rd gen or Bluestar includes options for 4 doors and quick charging. The quick charging is in my opinion the most important feature that can be offered, 4 or 5 doors would be the next important option. A big plus after that would be AWD. I just hope that the design is such that even poor folk like me can get a descent useable electric car with range and a quick turn around and versatility. If I buy one of these cars I can't afford another car that is used for long trips hauling my family and then another just for commuting to work. I don't make that kind of money, I have a feeling that the majority of folks are in the same boat I am when it comes to transport here in Idaho. Everything is far way and a long drive. I hope they build a car that will meet my needs and others here in Idaho at under a $30,000 price tag. I really like the idea of an electric car! Tesla seems to be doing great catering to the rich so I hope they can also meet the needs of the rest of us and continue to profit.

I have been looking at the Bluestar Platform - UNOFFICIAL Options and Prices matrix and I really hope the 3rd gen or Bluestar includes options for 4 doors and quick charging. The quick charging is in my opinion the most important feature that can be offered, 4 or 5 doors would be the next important option. A big plus after that would be AWD. I just hope that the design is such that even poor folk like me can get a descent useable electric car with range and a quick turn around and versatility. If I buy one of these cars I can't afford another car that is used for long trips hauling my family and then another just for commuting to work. I don't make that kind of money, I have a feeling that the majority of folks are in the same boat I am when it comes to transport here in Idaho. Everything is far way and a long drive. I hope they build a car that will meet my needs and others here in Idaho at under a $30,000 price tag. I really like the idea of an electric car! Tesla seems to be doing great catering to the rich so I hope they can also meet the needs of the rest of us and continue to profit.

Purely my own guess, but in order to beat range anxiety and thus offer mass-market appeal, I think the base model (read: $30k version) of BlueStar is going to need to hit 200 miles per charge. I expect a battery upgrade option that will take the range to at least 300 miles. As for Supercharging? Tesla is obviously investing a lot into it, so I seriously doubt it's going to be a perk that's reserved exclusively for customers of their higher-end cars (read: S and X). BlueStar will offer Supercharging, I imagine. Though whether it's free or not is debatable.

I can tell you the base model will not have AWD, and probably not supercharging. Superchargers could be swamped if the high volume base model can use them.

That makes a lot of sense and fits the current model too. It will be a given that the Bluestar will be a four door to start with. Space will be at a premium to start with so I really doubt AWD will be offered immediately. Later versions with AWD would be a given if you ask me. I can guarantee you the base model will not get 200 miles on a charge unless there is a revolution in battery tech. The base model will get around 150 miles since they won't expect to sell a lot of them. I expect three pack sizes with the largest getting over 300 and Supercharging, just like the Model S. My opinion:

Smaller car = less batteries
More energy density per battery = Similar numbers to the Model S

So I expect to see similar range numbers.

I can tell you the base model will not have AWD, and probably not supercharging. Superchargers could be swamped if the high volume base model can use them.

Agree neither would be available on the base model.
I would be surprised if supercharging is not an option just like the 60kWh is on the MS and would at least hope AWD is an option.