Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue w/ White Interior: DDay Tomorrow & Questions regarding PPF...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

The day has come. MY LR Dark Blue Metallic w/ White Interior & 20" Inductions. Car came here earlier this week in Princeton, NJ as they texted me but I was away on vacation. VIN X342XX

I will post pics to this thread tomorrow. Crossing fingers on quality and accepting delivery.

First thing I want to do is schedule a Full Front PPF (bumper, hood, fenders, and side view mirrors) and would like your feedback.

Place A (Signature Detailing in Central NJ)
$1700 Using Suntek Ultra
Full Front PPF and will throw in all front lights, fogs and center console. He said that he could do the center console in Satin White (Vinyl) and said it will look cool since I have White Interior

Place B (leeberbs llc in Central NJ)
$1750 Using Xpel Ultimate Plus
Full Front PPF and will throw in all front lights, fogs and center console. He said that he could do the center console in Glossy or Matte. I guess this is film vs vinyl from Place A

Out of my budget for now but just in case others were wondering on Ceramic Coatings

Place A Using Opti-Coat Pro for full car: $1000
Place B Using Xpel Fusion Plus for full car: $1500

--------------------------------------------------

Please provide feedback on your thoughts on the PPF above....Suntek vs Xpel. Mostly what I'm hearing is that Xpel is a slightly better product for protection but Suntek will maintain the gloss/shine better. Both Installers are highly reputable and get amazing reviews. I do like the fact of the Center Console in White Satin. Thoughts overall?

Thank you!

I have had XPel on my 3 for 18 months. I have no complaints. I would suggest making sure the PPF also covers the rear rocker panels right in front of the rear wheels. It was such an issue, Tesla themselves offer it (or mudflaps). Since you are in NJ, this is probably a good idea.

My installation was about the same price (in FL) and included the aforementioned rear rocker panels and a strip on the back bumper where scratches usually happen putting things in the trunk.

OP, I have a Model 3 with the same Blue/White combo. Trust me when I say this - don't get the centre console wrapped in white. It will reflect like crazy on your side windows (which you are going to get tinted I assume) and will really distract you while you are driving or backing up the car in tight spots. Instead, get the center console wrapped in regular matte PPF. This will turn it into a black matte finish ad protect the gloss black from scratches etc and wont turn into a fingerprint magnet.

Reactions: J-HevA
OP, I have a Model 3 with the same Blue/White combo. Trust me when I say this - don't get the centre console wrapped in white. It will reflect like crazy on your side windows (which you are going to get tinted I assume) and will really distract you while you are driving or backing up the car in tight spots. Instead, get the center console wrapped in regular matte PPF. This will turn it into a black matte finish ad protect the gloss black from scratches etc and wont turn into a fingerprint magnet.

wow...this is really good info. I didn’t even think about that. Was thinking the center wrapped in satin White would look cool...def not worth the headache of reflections and such. I also have OCD...lol.

thoughts on Suntek vs Xpel? Or any other suggestion?

I have had XPel on my 3 for 18 months. I have no complaints. I would suggest making sure the PPF also covers the rear rocker panels right in front of the rear wheels. It was such an issue, Tesla themselves offer it (or mudflaps). Since you are in NJ, this is probably a good idea.

My installation was about the same price (in FL) and included the aforementioned rear rocker panels and a strip on the back bumper where scratches usually happen putting things in the trunk.

I will talk to them about the rear rocker panels...thanks!!

wow...this is really good info. I didn’t even think about that. Was thinking the center wrapped in satin White would look cool...def not worth the headache of reflections and such. I also have OCD...lol.

thoughts on Suntek vs Xpel? Or any other suggestion?

Before getting delivery of my Model 3, I had the same thoughts as you "Oh man, a satin white center console would look lovely with the rest of the white interior". Then I got the car and got XPEL ultimate PPF on exterior and Suntek (35%) ceramic tint and decided to live with the car for a few weeks before pulling the trigger on the center console wrap (also my wallet was hurting).

I am so glad I waited it out because very soon I discovered the window glare issue due to the white dash strip. It was a no-brainer at that point to get the 'stealth' PPF for the center console - which gave it a nice matte finish as well as protection from future scratches.

XPEL PPF seems to be the more popular choice around here. Two other colleagues of mine (Model P100D, Model 3 AWD) have both gotten XPEL ultimate PPF and seem to like it as well.

I second the no white console idea. I went with RPM’s matte carbon fiber covers on mine and love it! Here is a pic from when I picked it up from RPM so pardon the tape and seat covers in the pic.

Attachments

• E8C9125B-A503-4C4E-80F7-72293A24E0BE.jpeg
    E8C9125B-A503-4C4E-80F7-72293A24E0BE.jpeg
    377.5 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: knikak