Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BlueIndy -- An EV car-sharing Service in Indianapolis, IN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
http://www.consumerreports.org/hybr...ampaign=20160823_nsltr_august_cars_newsletter

Website

Good stuff. The cost works out to around 20 cents/mile + $100 a year. Amazingly cheap if the service works. The service uses Italian made cars with a battery they rate for 150 miles range. I gather the company built out its own network of chargers, but they allow public access. I'm not sure about charger details or charge costs.

Any Indy residents here to add personal experiences ?

I see these around town, haven't tried one... too expensive per mile for what it is.

The cost isn't per mile either, it's per minute! The minimum is 20 minutes for $8. Without the membership it's $8 for the first 20 minutes and then 40 cents per minute after that.

Let's pretend I want to go grocery shopping at a store five minutes away... if I don't pay for the entire time my trip costs $16

If I pay for the entire time and it takes me an hour to shop then it costs me $28 (70 minutes total).

There's no way to win.

If you do the yearly membership then it's 9.99 * 12 months or $120 per year.
the per minute cost is cut in half to 20 cents per minute. My same shopping trip now costs $8 at minimum.

At those prices I could probably get a taxi.

Last edited:
There's are other things as well...
$6 million dollars of city funds were used to help the company out so we're paying for it whether we use it or not.

Blue Indy is also reducing available parking in already crowded neighborhoods. Once you build the spot for blue indy cars or blue indy members with EVs then you can no longer park there without paying $120 a year.

The cars have a max speed of 65 mph which although the speed limit on 465 around the city is 55 mph the public goes 70-80 mph. At 65 mph you might get run over.

While the Blue Indy thought is nice (because public transportation is horrible here) the implementation leaves much to be desired.

Screenshot 2016-08-23 at 2.22.12 PM.png

Yes, exactly... 9.99 * 12 months = $120 plus $4 for the first 20 min or $8 if you don't pay the membership fee.

So... if you do pay the $120/yr membership fee and you want to go somewhere then back home then it costs a minimum of $4 each way or $8. Without the membership this is $16.

I hope it makes more sense. Even gas powered Zip cars would be cheaper if that was available here (possibly significantly cheaper).

Last edited: