Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth Attack can steal Model X in Minutes

rgedad

Apr 6, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
I came across this article in Wired magazine today - thought the MX community would like to know about it.

From the 11/23/2020 article:
"A hacker could rewrite the firmware of a key fob via Bluetooth connection, lift an unlock code from the fob, and use it to steal a Model X in just a matter of minutes."

"Wouters says he warned Tesla about his Model X keyless entry hacking technique in August. He says the company has told him it plans to start rolling out a software update to its key fobs this week—and possibly components of its cars too—to prevent at least one step in his two-part attack."

I did Google search and found similar articles in Electrek, Digg, Zdnet, and others - all from Sunday.

I "assume" this week software download refers to late November 2020 given the 11/23/2020 article date.
I got a new download pushed in on Sunday - so I assume the fix is in that download.

We have the Pin-to-Drive set which I 'assume" would be another wall to get over before driving away with my 2019 MX - I hope so at least.

Read that the fix is in: The software update where this bug has been fixed is 2020.48, according to Wouters.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC