TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bluetooth audio - sometimes no sound

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by electric_feel, Jan 22, 2017.

1. electric_feel

electric_feel The Electric Baron

Sometimes when switching to Bluetooth audio on my 2013 Model S, the audio is playing, but it is muted. I know that it's playing because I can check the app that I'm using on my iPhone (like Apple Music or Stitcher) which shows time passing by, but no sound in the car. This can occur whether I switch to bluetooth audio from a different source (like internet radio), or even if the car is already on the bluetooth audio source.

In these situations, I can always fix the issue by switching to internet radio, and then back to bluetooth audio.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

2. Bruinfan

Bruinfan Member

My Bluetooth audio is not working at all. Phone or media. Your phone calls come through the car speakers?

Going to start a thread now.

3. electric_feel

My phone calls come through the car speakers just fine. Whenever the bluetooth audio gets in that situation, I switch to internet radio, then right back to bluetooth which fixes the issue.

• Informative x 1
  4. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Hold both of the scroll wheels to reboot the touch screen. This always seems to resolve my BT audio issues.

• Like x 1
  5. dinkoh

dinkoh Member

I have the exact same problem. Took it to service, and they say it's a firmware issue after 8.0. Although my loaner car never had the issue.... I have my doubts it'll be fixed any time soon.

6. Whistle2Whine

Whistle2Whine Member

Similar issue here. I thought it was just something Wonky with the Android BT audio stack, but apparently this is just a BT audio problem in general, since you have an iDevice. Of course, this could be solved by them just GIVING US SPOTIFY...at least for me :)

7. Alex D

Alex D Member

I have the same issue. Sometimes I get no sound on Bluetooth when I start my drive, even though my phone shows the song as playing. Tried rebooting in all different known ways, didn't fix it. I have to switch to another audio source and back in order to hear anything. My guess is it's just a bug that will be ironed out soon.

I'm on 2.52.22.

8. dinkoh

dinkoh Member

My car got updated to 17.3.2, and I still have the bluetooth audio problem.

9. electric_feel

My 2013 is pre-AP hardware, and I'm on 2.55.22. Interesting this seems to be happening across the board. I sent an email to Tesla support, and I'll report back with their response.

10. Dickerns

Dickerns Member

Correct. I have the same version, but the problem has been addressed. As mentioned above, one has to switch to a different audio source and then come back.

11. e1ake

e1ake New Member

same problem with model x ap2. looks like software bug

12. electric_feel

The problem has been addressed, but that's just a temporary workaround, not a solution. It definitely should not behave in that manner. I use Bluetooth in my MS every day, usually 2 or 3 times a day, so it is a bother.

13. bsk997

bsk997 Member

I have the same issue with mine. My solution is to switch it to another source then back to BT.

14. Patrick0101

Patrick0101 Member

I have the same problem (2016 M-X). I have been hitting the voice control button twice (once to start, then once to cancel) as a workaround. This usually, but not always, works.

15. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Has any one tried impairing and repairing your phone?

16. dinkoh

dinkoh Member

Of course.

I get pissed every time I encounter this problem when I get in my car.

• Like x 1
  17. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

This happens to me quite a bit. I usually have to turn Bluetooth on/off on my phone and switch Tesla from radio to Bluetooth a few times (usually while driving) and it starts working again

18. JPP

JPP Active Member

This issue has been on and off for years, and seems to vary based on the firmware release (both on the S and my iPhone 7). Same fix as Seminole above--switch BT off and ON, sometimes have to un-pair and re-pair phone.

• Like x 1
  19. dinkoh

dinkoh Member

At least for me, the problem is fixed when my car got upgraded to 8.1 (17.11.10). Unfortunately, that's the only improvement I gained from the update.

20. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

I've seen this on both of my cars, it's not Tesla specific. Audio is shown as playing on the iPhone, but no sound from the car. The problem seems to arise at the establishment of the BT connection. If it starts playing before the BT connection is correctly established, it doesn't work correctly. Any number of steps (e.g., airplane mode on/off) which force it to re-establish the Bluetooth connection seems to solve the problem, but it is quite annoying.