Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth audio - sometimes no sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

electric_feel

The Electric Baron
May 29, 2016
SoCal
Sometimes when switching to Bluetooth audio on my 2013 Model S, the audio is playing, but it is muted. I know that it's playing because I can check the app that I'm using on my iPhone (like Apple Music or Stitcher) which shows time passing by, but no sound in the car. This can occur whether I switch to bluetooth audio from a different source (like internet radio), or even if the car is already on the bluetooth audio source.

In these situations, I can always fix the issue by switching to internet radio, and then back to bluetooth audio.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

My phone calls come through the car speakers just fine. Whenever the bluetooth audio gets in that situation, I switch to internet radio, then right back to bluetooth which fixes the issue.

I have the exact same problem. Took it to service, and they say it's a firmware issue after 8.0. Although my loaner car never had the issue.... I have my doubts it'll be fixed any time soon.

I have the same issue. Sometimes I get no sound on Bluetooth when I start my drive, even though my phone shows the song as playing. Tried rebooting in all different known ways, didn't fix it. I have to switch to another audio source and back in order to hear anything. My guess is it's just a bug that will be ironed out soon.

I'm on 2.52.22.

Correct. I have the same version, but the problem has been addressed. As mentioned above, one has to switch to a different audio source and then come back.

The problem has been addressed, but that's just a temporary workaround, not a solution. It definitely should not behave in that manner. I use Bluetooth in my MS every day, usually 2 or 3 times a day, so it is a bother.

I've seen this on both of my cars, it's not Tesla specific. Audio is shown as playing on the iPhone, but no sound from the car. The problem seems to arise at the establishment of the BT connection. If it starts playing before the BT connection is correctly established, it doesn't work correctly. Any number of steps (e.g., airplane mode on/off) which force it to re-establish the Bluetooth connection seems to solve the problem, but it is quite annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948