Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth Audio streaming volume problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first got my car, this wasn't an issue. The Bluetooth volume on my iPhone stayed at 100% and the volume knob on the steering wheel adjusted the stereo volume accordingly, but there was a Tesla software update a while back that synchronized the car stereo volume with that of the phone. In other words, if the car stereo was set to 50% volume, the phone's Bluetooth volume would also be set to 50%, so I'm really getting 50% of 50%, or 25%. The result is low audio output until you get to nearly 100% when all of a sudden the volume steps become huge. There's also an annoying lag between volume knob movement and loudness.

Is there any way to force iOS to output Bluetooth audio at 100% all the time?

not sure how helpful this is for you, but in Android there's an option to "Disable Absolute Volume" which is what is happening here. basically what is going on is Tesla updated their software to use this functionality, which pairs with your phone's volume. if it is not working for you, Apple recommends that you disable it at the headphones/output (Tesla Software). since there is no way to do this in Tesla OS, you would have to do it from the phone.

unfortunately, all of the googles did nothing for me and I don't see a way to control this from iOS.

• Informative
Reactions: tga
Mine has been acting a bit screwey since a recent software update. My phone was set to be at 100% when paired with the car, and then the volume knob adjusted the car from there. Now the phone volume refently bounces all over the place.

Mine has been acting a bit screwey since a recent software update. My phone was set to be at 100% when paired with the car, and then the volume knob adjusted the car from there. Now the phone volume refently bounces all over the place.
+1

Volume on my iPhone now fluctuates very frequently. Hoping that Tesla reverts back to the old setup for phone volume, as the current setup sucks.

not sure how helpful this is for you, but in Android there's an option to "Disable Absolute Volume" which is what is happening here. basically what is going on is Tesla updated their software to use this functionality, which pairs with your phone's volume. if it is not working for you, Apple recommends that you disable it at the headphones/output (Tesla Software). since there is no way to do this in Tesla OS, you would have to do it from the phone.

unfortunately, all of the googles did nothing for me and I don't see a way to control this from iOS.
I've been dealing with these mysterious phone volume changes when streaming audio over Bluetooth for weeks. Thanks @640k, the "Disable absolute volume" setting works around this Tesla bug, at least for Android phones.

The Tesla way - two steps forward, one step back. Who needs an SQA department when you have customers to test for you?!? :mad:

I have a 2013 Model S, and ever since the December Update I have had an issue with my Google Pixel 3a XL Bluetooth volume jumping from 100% down to almost zero, then up to around 60%. This happens for EVERY song change. My car volume does not control my phone Bluetooth volume, nor has it ever. Disabling Absolute Volume does not fix the issue; however, performing a hard reset on the center display fixes the issue until the next time I get out of the vehicle. The problem is so bad that I have had to stop streaming music with my phone....TESLA PLEASE FIX THIS. It is related to the car adjusting the phone volume for some reason. Please revert back to leaving the phone at 100% all of the time.

I've been dealing with these mysterious phone volume changes when streaming audio over Bluetooth for weeks. Thanks @640k, the "Disable absolute volume" setting works around this Tesla bug, at least for Android phones.

The Tesla way - two steps forward, one step back. Who needs an SQA department when you have customers to test for you?!? :mad:
I spoke too soon. Android's "Disable absolute volume" does not fix this problem for me.

• Love
Reactions: KJennerator
This one is a head scratcher as the bluetooth audio functionality is pretty terrible in its current form. Anyone have an idea why Tesla fixed something that wasn't broke? What is the advantages of the current setup? I seriously can't think of any.

This one is a head scratcher as the bluetooth audio functionality is pretty terrible in its current form. Anyone have an idea why Tesla fixed something that wasn't broke? What is the advantages of the current setup? I seriously can't think of any.
The most recent update in my dad's Model 3 links his phone Bluetooth volume to the car volume. The Model S gen 1 MCU appears to have a broken implementation of this.

The most recent update in my dad's Model 3 links his phone Bluetooth volume to the car volume. The Model S gen 1 MCU appears to have a broken implementation of this.
I'd like to believe it is broken in the model 3 as well, as I can't fathom an engineering decision to design it this way. The volume is bonkers. Fingers crossed they revert back to summer 2019 settings.

Reactions: jowaldo
Has anyone found a solution to the android problem of the volume jumping randomly? I'm having the same issue on my 2015 model S since the December patch as well. I tried changing some settings in the Android OS but nothing helped.