Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth auto-connects phone during Summon - why?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This drives me crazy nearly every day of the week.

I'll be on my phone on a conference call or using my phone for podcasts as I'm leaving for work. I go out to my garage and summon my car out (I have a very small/tight garage).

While the car is summoning out of the garage the phone connects to the Tesla's bluetooth and my audio vanishes.

If I'm on a call, the person on the other end inevitably says "Hello?! Hello?!" as i can hear them through the closed car door.
If I'm listening to a podcast, I miss a chunk of it while I'm waiting for the car to exit the garage.

Then, the car stops and turns off at the end of the summon. Sometimes, this leads to the phone call dropping completely. Sometimes it doesn't.

Why on earth does the car connect the bluetooth during summon? The entire point of summon is that NO ONE is in the car! Can we not get Tesla to change the bluetooth behavior to not auto-connect until the car door is opened?

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
This drives me crazy nearly every day of the week.

I'll be on my phone on a conference call or using my phone for podcasts as I'm leaving for work. I go out to my garage and summon my car out (I have a very small/tight garage).

While the car is summoning out of the garage the phone connects to the Tesla's bluetooth and my audio vanishes.

If I'm on a call, the person on the other end inevitably says "Hello?! Hello?!" as i can hear them through the closed car door.
If I'm listening to a podcast, I miss a chunk of it while I'm waiting for the car to exit the garage.

Then, the car stops and turns off at the end of the summon. Sometimes, this leads to the phone call dropping completely. Sometimes it doesn't.

Why on earth does the car connect the bluetooth during summon? The entire point of summon is that NO ONE is in the car! Can we not get Tesla to change the bluetooth behavior to not auto-connect until the car door is opened?

If it's any consolation that's not only a Tesla problem although Tesla may be the only ones to be able to fix it via an over-the-air update of some type but that said my Chevy Volt it does the same thing when I precondition in the morning when the car wakes up it grabs my paired phone and all phone audio goes to the car not real Handy but I've learned to deal with it by keeping Bluetooth turned off on my phone until I actually get near to or get in the car it's a bit of a hassle but once I did it enough times it became habit but I agree it would be much nicer if the car didn't grab the phone until one was actually in the car :)

On your phone, there should be an icon on the phone app that disables the Bluetooth audio for the call, bringing the audio back to your phone, similar to enabling/disabling the speakerphone.

What is the range requirement for Summon? As a security and safety precaution, the mobile device needs to be close enough to the vehicle so you can monitor the car (at least until FSD can operate the car safely without supervision).

Is it possible Summon requires Bluetooth? Requiring Bluetooth connection would ensure the operator is close enough to see what the car is doing.

Several weeks ago, in a hard rain, I was standing a few feet behind the car and wanted to use Summon to pull the car forward a few feet so we could get access to the rear trunk, without standing in a mud puddle behind the car. And Summon wasn't able to connect to the car. If Bluetooth is required, it's possible the heavy rain was causing enough interference to prevent BT from making a connection from behind the car - and explain why Summon failed to operate the car - when we needed it...