Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth call mic quality - recordings attached

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just brought the car in for service because on the highway my Bluetooth calling is practically unusable. Is anyone having the same issue with recipients unable to clearly hear them? It seems to me like it's a gain issue with the mic as you don't hear the road noise, I am just muffled in the background.

Please listen and let me know what you think.

Tesla Mic Quality

Yes the road noise especially on a concrete interstate at 65+ makes conversations almost impossible. I'm forced to use iPhone on speaker which cancels out background noise. Really unfortunate.

I do the same thing. I think it's crazy that my phone on speakerphone works 20x better than the dual mic system in the Tesla. I make a ton of business phone calls from the car and it's infuriating. They told me they couldn't replicate the issue so I sent these recordings over, now they said engineering is looking into it.

I honestly think the fix is simply increasing the gain, even if the person on the other end of the call hears more road noise, as long as they hear me it's fine.

I have found that on the X this to be an issue and not on S. on the S people on the other end don't even realize i am driving. On the X, they complain that I sound like I am going through a tunnel or I am too far away from the phone.

I believe that's because the mics on the X are placed on the A pillars and unless you face the mic directly they don't pick up your voice properly.

I am not sure if that's something that SC can improve on tha gain of the mic or is that a design flaw we have to live with.

Also just an FYI. My workaround this past week or so has been to sit all the way up with my head over the steering wheel and to talk directly into the mic. I can confirm this method works and your call recipient will hear you!

Please see attached picture for reference.
bad-driver.jpg

I solve it with my Apple AirPods. They work really well and my conversations NEVER turn to what I sound like or what I'm talking on. But, if automakers really want to solve this, they will put a non-condensing microphone nearer to your mouth. It will screw into the rear view mirror mount, perhaps and extend towards you on a flexible arm when you want it. Perhaps an array of beam forming mics mounted in the A pillar and rearview mirror and dash board alternatively, but that seems complicated and more expensive. There is no substitute for getting the mic next to your mouth or the side of your head.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I solve it with my Apple AirPods. They work really well and my conversations NEVER turn to what I sound like or what I'm talking on. But, if automakers really want to solve this, they will put a non-condensing microphone nearer to your mouth. It will screw into the rear view mirror mount, perhaps and extend towards you on a flexible arm when you want it. Perhaps an array of beam forming mics mounted in the A pillar and rearview mirror and dash board alternatively, but that seems complicated and more expensive. There is no substitute for getting the mic next to your mouth or the side of your head.

So you just wear the air pods? Is there no way to use the air pods (or other headphones as a mic) and then use the cars stereo as the speaker?

So you just wear the air pods? Is there no way to use the air pods (or other headphones as a mic) and then use the cars stereo as the speaker?

The car is not involved in my calls. I don't know whether you could fashion a way to use the AirPods as mics and use the car as a speaker. That would be interesting to try.

Everyone I speak to says I sound "far away down a hall" and they can't make out anything I'm saying. I've taken it to my SC twice and they just say it must be my phone as they can't reproduce it. I've resorted to talking on speakerphone. I won't wear headphones while I drive as it limits my ability to hear other vehicles around me and creates a dangerous driving environment. My Audi S6 was crystal clear and never had one complaint, most people didn't even know I was on bluetooth.

So thank you everyone for the replies. It seems I'm not the only one having this issue which means it's harder to fix than I thought.

Due to the amount I drive and the amount of calls I make from the car it's a serious issue for me. How do I take this to the next level with Tesla? The SC said they opened a case with engineering but we all know how that goes... What recorse do I have now?

So thank you everyone for the replies. It seems I'm not the only one having this issue which means it's harder to fix than I thought.

Due to the amount I drive and the amount of calls I make from the car it's a serious issue for me. How do I take this to the next level with Tesla? The SC said they opened a case with engineering but we all know how that goes... What recorse do I have now?

Please keep us posted, I am confident this is a design flaw as we all have this issue. Perhaps you can reach out to the factory or Tweet Elon.

This is really surprising. I am on order and expect my X in late March/early April. My Ford Fusion Platinum has a perfect Bluetooth phone connection. I use it for hands free calls at least 1/2 hour per day. Everyone says I sound great. That was a $40k car.

P.S. It also auto parks and works flawlessly.

Just got my X back from the 2nd attempt at fixing the Bluetooth. They tested multiple phones and said they had similar sound quality to my phone. They said bc of the location of the mics it doesn't pick up your voice well and you need to speak into the pillars. So ridiculous. I didn't even bother fighting my case I felt so defeated afterwards. I'm gonna escalate it once I go insane from yelling into the pillar.

Just got my X back from the 2nd attempt at fixing the Bluetooth. They tested multiple phones and said they had similar sound quality to my phone. They said bc of the location of the mics it doesn't pick up your voice well and you need to speak into the pillars. So ridiculous. I didn't even bother fighting my case I felt so defeated afterwards. I'm gonna escalate it once I go insane from yelling into the pillar.

Oh boy do I feel your pain. I called Tesla HQ today to try to escalate and they just put me on hold and called the SC. Then they came back and said the case is with the engineers and someone will call me sometime in the future. I don't even know how to escalate it and I'm so frustrated. Anyone with advice on how to take this issue to the next level would be greatly appreciated.

Oh boy do I feel your pain. I called Tesla HQ today to try to escalate and they just put me on hold and called the SC. Then they came back and said the case is with the engineers and someone will call me sometime in the future. I don't even know how to escalate it and I'm so frustrated. Anyone with advice on how to take this issue to the next level would be greatly appreciated.
Did you write to [email protected]? And explain to them that SC already looked at it and said to speak into the A-pillar which is dangerous as you are then not looking at the road ahead.

Interesting ... I will have to try the AirPods until Tesla can fix the problem :cool:

Reactions: JHWJR