Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth constantly disconnecting and reconnecting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having the same/similar issue. Took delivery of my 2023 M3P in mid dec 2022. Bluetooth connectivity with iPhone 14 pro seemed to be working flawlessly for 3-4 weeks but now doesn't connect. seeing this on the bluetooth menu. . able to use my iPhone as my key but not listen to music/phone calls
and unable to disconnect my phone as the screen flashes too quickly as seen in the video

Tech support is analyzing log data from my car now. The one thing they asked me was 'precisely' when did this happen, to the minute if I could. Luckily I could because I sent them a message when it happened. They said they could go through the log data but "would take hours to go through 5 mins of log data".
Then they asked me for software update information on my phone which I sent over yesterday. I'm waiting to hear back.

I have a 2023 MYLR running software 2022.44.30. Just took delivery a few weeks ago (before the price cut ☹️). There are 2 iPhones paired to the car's Bluetooth: an XS and a 13, both running iOS 16.1.2 (me and my wife's phones). I've noticed that both phones are constantly disconnecting and reconnecting to Bluetooth every minute or so. Sometimes when this happens, the car's WiFi doesn't connect to my home network either and can't find any WiFi networks if I try to do a scan. Resetting the car's touchscreen by holding down both steering wheel buttons works to fix the issues for a few days, but then it starts happening again.

The Phone Key functionality is not impacted and always works reliably; only the connection for making Bluetooth phone calls and streaming audio is affected.

Has anyone encountered this?

Thanks
My phone (iPhone 14 pro) works fine as both a control of the Console and as a phone/controller of entertainment. My husband, on the other hand, has an iPhone 13 and it doesn’t work. I sat in the car with his phone only and it wouldn’t start without the keycard. I’ve turned on and off Bluetooth on the phone and the console “key” code (ending in C) may or may not appear. The Tesla Y does not show up now under Bluetooth on his phone and just keeps says “connecting” on the screen of the car under Bluetooth. His phone does not connect for calls or entertainment.. I cannot disconnect his phone from the car to start over. Any suggestions?

This is exactly what I did last night; it's working so far, but it's too early to tell if it's a permanent fix because the issue only appears 1 or 2 days after rebooting the infotainment. I also renamed my iPhones to not contain apostrophes in the names, after reading an anecdotal and unconfirmed comment in another thread that this could cause issues. At this point I'm willing to try anything :rolleyes:.

Having taken delivery of my MY at the end of December, and it being my first Tesla, the Holiday Update is the only Tesla software I've ever experienced so I can't comment on the Bluetooth behavior before that.

I noticed that when the problem occurs, the car's Bluetooth screen (where you add and remove phones) flips between normal and "Reinitializing Bluetooth" every 30 seconds or so; this corresponds with the phone disconnection/reconnection. At the same time, the WiFi screen also says "Reinitializing". So the issue seems to affect the part of the infotainment computer that deals with Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity, making it "reset" every 30 seconds or so. Since the Phone Key functionality is still intact and stable, I assume this is handled by a different module/computer since it's a drive-critical item (unlike the infotainment, which is just annoying).

If it's indeed a software regression that was introduced with the holiday update, hopefully it will be resolved in the next update (which should be soon based on Tesla's usual release cadence). I'm surprised, though, that more people aren't reporting this if it really affects everyone with an iPhone.

Thanks.
I have a Bluetooth problem with my iPhone losing its connection to the car frequently that seems to depend on its location (center console bad, in my pocket or jammed under my legs good). Relatively speaking I have a crappy connection, but this is a wireless modem that is unstable and unquestionably defective. There's no need to wonder if the phone is at fault, the modem or, if it can't be separated, the infotainment computer, needs to be replaced in that situation.

I forgot to mention that this problem started after I replaced my infotainment screen & computer with an "upgraded" one after the older screen on my 2015 Model S delaminated & leaked sticky goo all over the center console. The problem definitely originated with the upgrade.

I have not had any issues with my 2022 Model Y and ability to use the phone as a key but I use iPhone 13 Pro Max & not Android based phone like yourself. Sounds like you need to redo the phone key setup & not the entry in Tesla bluetooth audio source. Your phone has the possibility to make two bluetooth connections to the Tesla. One for phone key which phone will connect to automatically to a bluetooth device which looks like a serial number. The other entry is for audio purposes (if you paired phone to Tesla for bluetooth audio purposes) and that device name is whatever your car is named. You actually do not manually connect to the device name used for phone key functionality as this network only appears when you are near the car. I suspect you have been parking up the wrong tree for a while. For android you might need to have the Tesla app running in background all the time...or at least before you get near your car. I'd also schedule a Tesla mobile service visit if you can not resolve it yourself.
I use an iPhone 13 Pro Max too and it blows my mind that you expect an iPhone to work better than an Android phone with a product not made by Apple. Since I got an infotainment upgrade for the main screen in our Model S, my Bluetooth connection drops frequently, depending on where the phone is in the car. My wife's Samsung has a solid connection no matter where it is.

In general, I find the iPhone prone to frequently work poorly with products & services not made by Apple. This is likely deliberate with products that compete with Apple (monopolistic behavior), but does not benefit Apple with cars & may just be a symptom of arrogance in refusing to make the effort to work with others' products and simply declaring them "defective" if iPhones don't connect with them, but do connect well with other Apple products.

Even if Tesla's Bluetooth modems failed to comply with some standard, a company that gave a crap about its customers would see if there was a way to work with them. Apple won't do that. For example, it refuses to make its Mail app work well in reply to messages formatted in Outlook because Outlook apparently does fail to comply with some standard. Android/GMail just set their apps up to handle messages formatted the way the most popular PC email client formats them just as well as they handle standard compliant formatting.

I use an iPhone 13 Pro Max too and it blows my mind that you expect an iPhone to work better than an Android phone with a product not made by Apple.
I’ve never had an issue with my iPhone 13 pro max nor my iPhone 15 pro max working with my 2022 Model Y. Tesla Key & Bluetooth work as advertised. I also have Apple CarPlay running in my Tesla center screen & it works great too.

I don’t recall saying I think an iPhone works better than Android with a Tesla. I’d expect them to work equally well.