Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth Echoing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else have a problem with other people (receiver) saying their voice echos when connected through your car’s Bluetooth?

Phone IphoneX
Car 2018 MS only 500 miles
No Apple Watch

I was on a call with my brother last night and he said that my audio sounded garbled / underwater sounding after we had been speaking for about 30 minutes while I was driving. I too have an iPhone X but have a Gen 1 Apple Watch (no LTE).

Update: Tesla mobile service came to my house today. They verified/duplicated the problem and after some testing they said the Bluetooth mics (2 of them) should be replaced. The tech had the mics and replaced both. The tech said my old mics were picking up the speaker instead of canceling it and hence people at the other end could hear themselves (echo). It seems to have fixed the problem for now. There are two bluetooth mics in the model S and he replaced both. Said some echoing is unavoidable if the phone volume is all the way up to 12 or 13 but levels up to 10 the Bluetooth mic should cancel what’s coming out of the speakers. Will post another update if the problem comes back.

Same problem here. New 2018 Model X 100D (1400 KM) - all people on the other end of the call say they hear an echo. It's unusable in current state. Is this really an issue with the mics? Was hoping for a software fix considering I live 1,200 KM away from the nearest Tesla Service Centre.
iPhone X.

Oh, so this is not just me. This happens when I call my wife while she's in her Model 3, I can ear myself in echo. I guess it has something to do with the latest sw, because I don't recall having this issue before.

I just received a Model X beginning of June same issue. I have tried 3 different devices all different OEMs, all have Echo problem. It has been in the service center for 1 week and they say they can't fix it because it is a firmware issue. I am driving a 4 year old Model S loaner and there is no Echo in this older Model S... Very frustrated as I am in the car most of the day and on the phone.. it's not what I would expect from such an expensive/ advanced car

• Informative
Reactions: Rborhani
Yes. It’s very frustrating in a $100K car. Was on the phone with my mom and she immediately heard echo, switched real time back to the phone speaker ... no echo. Switched back to the car, echo! Had to use the “hold the phone to my mouth and not my ear” technique just to make a call. Plan on reporting to the SC even if there isn’t a fix, just to have the issue on record... same as the browser not working problem. :(

Yes. It’s very frustrating in a $100K car. Was on the phone with my mom and she immediately heard echo, switched real time back to the phone speaker ... no echo. Switched back to the car, echo! Had to use the “hold the phone to my mouth and not my ear” technique just to make a call. Plan on reporting to the SC even if there isn’t a fix, just to have the issue on record... same as the browser not working problem. :(
Noticed that if you mute the phone while the other person is talking, they don’t hear the echo. This means there is something wrong with Tesla’s system no cancelling the other persons voice automatically and hence creating the echo effect.

Anybody got a word from Tesla regarding this issue? It's really frustrating, and muting every time someone speaks is just a band-aid. I think this issue was introduced on 21.9, anybody on .24 can weigh in on the status?

Anybody got a word from Tesla regarding this issue? It's really frustrating, and muting every time someone speaks is just a band-aid. I think this issue was introduced on 21.9, anybody on .24 can weigh in on the status?
I upgraded to 2018.24.1 It worked fine for about 2 min of Bluetooth voice call but then the problem came back. Unpaired and paired again and restarted the car (reboot). Same issue.