Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth Headaches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a newby. I cannot figure what I'm doing wrong. My Bluetooth cannot be on and still get any Internet on my iPhone X. And now the car won't link to my phone at all. Obviously I have the bt turned back on.
And what is it with all those mac addresses (4 of them) on my bt list?
Wondering if I can use an old iPod as a key??

I can't really help with your BT/internet issue on your iPhone. But the 4 BT addresses (on my phone they don't show up as MAC addresses, but rather actually names like "S11e**********P", "S11e**********D", "S11e**********R" and "S11e**********C" are the 4 BluetoothLE radios used to sense your phone as key (assume they are "Passenger", "Driver", "Rear" and "Center"). You should not connect to them directly, and don't worry about the fact that they are there.

I agree that BT is nothing but a bunch of headaches. I've found that when you are in range of an alternate Bluetooth device, that my phone will not connect to the car. I have a Bluetooth headset for example that sometimes my phone latches onto and will refuse to connect to the car until I manually disconnect it from the phone.

Those Bluetooth keys are the problem. There are 2 ways to use my phone for internet: turn off BT or stop running the Tesla app. It's a pain but it works.

I can't really help with your BT/internet issue on your iPhone. But the 4 BT addresses (on my phone they don't show up as MAC addresses, but rather actually names like "S11e**********P", "S11e**********D", "S11e**********R" and "S11e**********C" are the 4 BluetoothLE radios used to sense your phone as key (assume they are "Passenger", "Driver", "Rear" and "Center"). You should not connect to them directly, and don't worry about the fact that they are there.

I agree that BT is nothing but a bunch of headaches. I've found that when you are in range of an alternate Bluetooth device, that my phone will not connect to the car. I have a Bluetooth headset for example that sometimes my phone latches onto and will refuse to connect to the car until I manually disconnect it from the phone.

I am a newby. I cannot figure what I'm doing wrong. My Bluetooth cannot be on and still get any Internet on my iPhone X. And now the car won't link to my phone at all. Obviously I have the bt turned back on.
And what is it with all those mac addresses (4 of them) on my bt list?
Wondering if I can use an old iPod as a key??

Something is not right on your phone. Having BT on should not affect getting the internet on your phone. I suggest:

1) Pair the phone as a key (and yes, that's the MAC addresses you see - those are the key BT beacons in the car)
2) Pair your phone to the Audio system (this is separate from pairing it as a key)
3) Just leave BT on
4) use phone as normal.

Are you turning off cellular connection or something? Have you never connected any bluetooth device to your phone before?

I've have my iphone connected since the day I got the car in Jan. Never once turned off BT and never have had to use the card-key. Don't overthink bluetooth. Pair the car for key and audio, stay logged in on your app. Done.