Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth in garaged X keeps taking control of my iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

madodel

X at the end of a rainbow
Supporting Member
I don't know if there is a solution for this but when my X is parked in the garage and I walk by and it wakes up, the X keeps taking control of my iPhone 7 Plus bluetooth and I keep missing calls because they ring inside the X and not on my phone. This happens even if I have another bluetooth device connected to the phone like my PowerBeats earphones. It also continues to control my phone when I am in the house, at least when I am in the family room attached to the garage. Is there anything I can do to stop this other than disconnecting bluetooth on the X?

Same here. But upon incoming call, don't you get a screen on iPhone to select the audio source? I pick iPhone rather than the default MX and all's good. I know this is short term thinking of one aspect of your post, but smart phones and smart cars can't agree who should be smarter today.

I have iPhone 6+ |v8.0(2.52.36)| AP2-HW | PUP |

Exactly. The car randomly awakes and takes over Bluetooth or starts playing music on my phone. I am thinking it's because I am in close proximity of the car/garage with the key in my pocket while I walk around in the house.

Exactly. The car randomly awakes and takes over Bluetooth or starts playing music on my phone. I am thinking it's because I am in close proximity of the car/garage with the key in my pocket while I walk around in the house.
That's the problem exactly. I've taken to leaving the fob in a bowl in the kitchen so the car doesn't awaken and connect to my iPhone every time I take the dog outside.

It's definitely the fob proximity issue. I was on an important call once in my bedroom. My wife drove into the garage with the kids, and Bluetooth was close enough to connect. I lost my call and the contra party was subjected to my children's ridiculosity.

One thing you can do when this happens is use the phone to recapture control. On iOS, swipe up from the bottom and choose "iPhone" as the audio device (deselecting "Model X").

• Funny
Reactions: vandacca
It's definitely the fob proximity issue. I was on an important call once in my bedroom. My wife drove into the garage with the kids, and Bluetooth was close enough to connect. I lost my call and the contra party was subjected to my children's ridiculosity.

One thing you can do when this happens is use the phone to recapture control. On iOS, swipe up from the bottom and choose "iPhone" as the audio device (deselecting "Model X").
Right Ohmman, that's what I asked above also. That's a method that will be more, rather than less, necessary in the future.

Reactions: ohmman

Your particular experience was not related to fob proximity. That's a scenario that's likely to happen with any bluetooth-cabable car as mentioned above.

The car needs to be smarter about activating certain features only when it knows someone is in the car (it does know that, at least the driver). It's just annoying to have the car wake up randomly just because I am walking around the house.

Your particular experience was not related to fob proximity. That's a scenario that's likely to happen with any bluetooth-cabable car as mentioned above.
It was precisely related to fob proximity. However, in this case, the car created the proximity issue with the fob, which I had on my possession.

Yes, we need some software changes from both the phone and vehicle sides. In my case, my wife hadn't paired her phone or I don't think it would have taken over my call. If one phone is connected, no reason to drop it for a new phone - that doesn't seem to happen.

Reactions: boaterva

The car needs to be smarter about activating certain features only when it knows someone is in the car (it does know that, at least the driver). It's just annoying to have the car wake up randomly just because I am walking around the house.
But as soon as they turn that behavior off, some will complain their car is not awake soon enough.

Yes, we need some software changes from both the phone and vehicle sides. In my case, my wife hadn't paired her phone or I don't think it would have taken over my call. If one phone is connected, no reason to drop it for a new phone - that doesn't seem to happen.
That's correct; if one phone is connected and another comes into range the car won't automatically switch.

OTH it's a nuisance when wife beats me to the car with her fob and phone. Car activates her driving profile and connects to her phone. Then I have to switch both since I'm driving and my phone has the music.

That's correct; if one phone is connected and another comes into range the car won't automatically switch.

OTH it's a nuisance when wife beats me to the car with her fob and phone. Car activates her driving profile and connects to her phone. Then I have to switch both since I'm driving and my phone has the music.
Another poster suggested only pairing your FOB, and un-pairing hers. At least the seat position will always start as yours.

But that phone pairing is the difficulty I agree, someone will make a solution to that.......

They may include this in driver profiles if the profiles become smart enough to realize whos currently sitting on the seats. They can check existence of a driver or passengers (the way they did to check for seatbelt warning) on any seat and if it returns zero, this may be used to keep BT off. But I guess their way of thinking is try to get everything ready while you are approaching to car. This way things will be all set when you get into car. Just too smart then needed, imo.

They may include this in driver profiles if the profiles become smart enough to realize whos currently sitting on the seats. They can check existence of a driver or passengers (the way they did to check for seatbelt warning) on any seat and if it returns zero, this may be used to keep BT off. But I guess their way of thinking is try to get everything ready while you are approaching to car. This way things will be all set when you get into car. Just too smart then needed, imo.
Well, they triangulate the fob for auto-presenting doors. Surely they could put two and two together - I just don't know if it's worth the dev resources.

Well, they triangulate the fob for auto-presenting doors. Surely they could put two and two together - I just don't know if it's worth the dev resources.
How about the car does no profile changes (seats or phone), until a FOB top click happens, then it switches to that profile (seats & phone)?

Then we & SO just need to communicate, horrible? Then everyone needs to copy all music to USB, the neutral party

I can't imagine this being a problem with the car, but rather a problem with the phone. The phone knows about all the Bluetooth devices and which one to send the audio signal to. The car is only a dumb mic/speaker, just like your wireless headphone or speaker. I have to believe it's the phone that decides where to route the signal.

I suspect that the phone sees the car come into range and decides to switch sources. I can't imagine the car has the ability to 'reject' the connection because the fobs are not in range.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't make sense to me otherwise.

• Informative
Reactions: ABC2D