Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth in garaged X keeps taking control of my iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to hang a cute little key hook holder right next to the door to our garage, however I'm not sure if having our model X keys hanging just 3 ft away from our X is a good idea... Anyone know if it will keep waking and illuminating lights repeatedly through the night or would it only do it once, then time out since the keys will be stationary? Like does it only repeat that action as the key changes proximity within a certain range, not if it's still??

@vandacca, I want to thank you for making me aware of some of the limitations of Bluetooth. I was tied up most of the day but this evening I have taken a look at the Bluetooth protocol, with which I have had no previous development experience.

Here's what I understand: Bluetooth employs a master/slave hierarchy. One master can have multiple slaves at the same time but each slave can only have one master at any given moment. In our case, the Model X is the slave, and the phones are masters. Slaves have the opportunity to select three different levels of security: open, first connection request for that device, every connection request. In our case, the Model X uses the second security option, and is therefore "open" to all masters with which it has been successfully connected.

That said - the Bluetooth stack remembers these by the MAC address of the Bluetooth master trying to connect. That MAC address is saved in software, and therefore I do think it would be possible for Tesla to manage profiles by swapping out the "active" MAC based on the selected profile. I haven't dug deep enough, but I'm guessing there is a related mechanism when you use the slave controller (in the X) to select a device with which you're not already connected.

I'll say what I've said many times before, much to the dismay of some of my colleagues/coworkers. "It's just software - it's not that difficult."
As always, you're a huge asset to this forum. Thanks for looking this stuff up and educating us all. If we all were bluetooth devices, I'm pretty sure I know who would be the master and who would be the slave. :)

I'm about to hang a cute little key hook holder right next to the door to our garage, however I'm not sure if having our model X keys hanging just 3 ft away from our X is a good idea... Anyone know if it will keep waking and illuminating lights repeatedly through the night or would it only do it once, then time out since the keys will be stationary? Like does it only repeat that action as the key changes proximity within a certain range, not if it's still??
It will come on and off all night, I believe. My wife sometimes puts her fob on her desk, which is on the other side of the garage wall. I see the lights come on and off on the X despite the fob being stationary. It's possible the interference from our moving bodies does something, but I wouldn't chance it. Find a spot further away. We have a drawer that's a good 15 feet and a wall away from the X; that works well.

And @vandacca, don't make my avatar blush.

Better stock up on a crate of CR2354 batteries. The fob will be chatting with your X constantly. :rolleyes:

Reactions: FarmerDave