Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bluetooth interface questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

shiz

Sep 13, 2015
TX
as i don't have a m3 , but for those who do, i have some questions about the connection:

1) is the bluetooth feature is necessary at all times to lock, unlock, send any commands to the vehicle?

2) if someone else is in the car and i'm the driver with the connected phone, and i step out to pick up take out food, can I leave the car ac running with my phone on me? do i need to hit any special command to leave it running or is it a , i step out and it continues to do what it does? or do i have to leave the phone inside car with the passenger?

3) since it's bluetooth and let's say I do step out of the vehicle with the passenger inside, and i'm 20 feet inside a store(i assume it's still connected), will any phone calls ring to my phone? to the car? can I prevent it from going to the car all the time? seems frustrating to be bouncing back/forth.

4) also, can the passenger(s) view all the text/phone call logs on the center console while my phone is bluetooth? can that be disable?

5) is it any different in the S vs the M3 as far as customizations? since I saw that there are more in the MS

thanks in advance.

as i don't have a m3 , but for those who do, i have some questions about the connection:

1) is the bluetooth feature is necessary at all times to lock, unlock, send any commands to the vehicle?
No
2) if someone else is in the car and i'm the driver with the connected phone, and i step out to pick up take out food, can I leave the car ac running with my phone on me? do i need to hit any special command to leave it running or is it a , i step out and it continues to do what it does? or do i have to leave the phone inside car with the passenger?
Passenger just has to touch the screen to keep HVAC on. I believe it will allow you to do that for about 30 minutes at a time (have to look at OM to verify)
3) since it's bluetooth and let's say I do step out of the vehicle with the passenger inside, and i'm 20 feet inside a store(i assume it's still connected), will any phone calls ring to my phone? to the car? can I prevent it from going to the car all the time? seems frustrating to be bouncing back/forth.
That I am not sure of, I know in my Volt it grabs the call (annoying) I presume the 3 would do the same
4) also, can the passenger(s) view all the text/phone call logs on the center console while my phone is bluetooth? can that be disable?
They can see your call logs, but the car doesn't do text so they cannot see that. I don't think there is a way to disable that without disabling the BT phone connection.
5) is it any different in the S vs the M3 as far as customizations? since I saw that there are more in the MS
thanks in advance.
What kind of customizations are you referring to?

I’ve been about 3 meters outside the car and had phone remain connected and thus send calls to car. When my pets are inside car as I hop in for a bagel the AC shuts off unless it’s hot. I turn it on via phone. Turn cellular data off for calls/texts. MS has been around longer so aftermarket support is greater.

I think it's important to explain there's a distinction between the A2DP bluetooth connection (Used for phone calls, steaming music, etc.) and bluetooth LE used to unlock the car.

When the phone key is set up in the "Locks" section of the UI, the car uses bluetooth LE to determine if it is nearby when you pull a door handle. If it is, the car unlocks and you gain entry. In my short experience, this needs to be done on the driver side, but I haven't tested this fully yet. At this point, you can't use your phone for bluetooth phone calls or streaming music.

To be able to stream and take phone calls, one must tap the bluetooth icon and pair the phone (as you would a headset, etc.).

I’ve been about 3 meters outside the car and had phone remain connected and thus send calls to car. When my pets are inside car as I hop in for a bagel the AC shuts off unless it’s hot. I turn it on via phone. Turn cellular data off for calls/texts. MS has been around longer so aftermarket support is greater.
At least on our X, when you are ready to get out, you can tap the fan icon and tell it to leave the AC on when exiting. This works great for pets or humans. I believe it is the same on the M3

No
Passenger just has to touch the screen to keep HVAC on. I believe it will allow you to do that for about 30 minutes at a time (have to look at OM to verify)
That I am not sure of, I know in my Volt it grabs the call (annoying) I presume the 3 would do the same
They can see your call logs, but the car doesn't do text so they cannot see that. I don't think there is a way to disable that without disabling the BT phone connection.

What kind of customizations are you referring to?

See imagine attached. I’m not sure as I’ve never experienced either

Attachments

• 4D1CFF5B-C356-459F-9A3F-CDA469F03D9D.jpeg
    4D1CFF5B-C356-459F-9A3F-CDA469F03D9D.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 53
See imagine attached. I’m not sure as I’ve never experienced either
That's referring to the number of actual vehicle configurations (wheel size, paint color, interior color, trim options, battery sizes, performance levels, motor options, etc.), nothing specifically to do with Bluetooth, which I think is what you were originally asking about.

That's referring to the number of actual vehicle configurations (wheel size, paint color, interior color, trim options, battery sizes, performance levels, motor options, etc.), nothing specifically to do with Bluetooth, which I think is what you were originally asking about.
Which isn't even right anymore as they have introduced other trims and colors to the Model 3.

Reactions: RTPEV