Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth issues Model S and iOS 8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I take it I can't edit my post because I'm too new, or because of the length of time it's been since I posted? Regardless, no dice. I unpaired every device except for my Apple Watch, Tesla, and computer, as well as deleting the SmartKey app as I previously described, but the disconnects are still happening. Even sometimes when I sleep the display, which is very strange/frustrating. I may experiment with unpairing *everything* except the Tesla, maybe. I'm unsure of a better way to diagnose these issues.

Make you've unpaired the SmartKey. At least with the tile, deleting the app is insufficient; it will leave the BT profiles intact. It does appear to have fixed my problem (for now).

Last edited:
I have been experiencing Bluetooth issues recently myself. At first I thought it was the update, but then read some comments about Apple Watch issues. Bluetooth often will not connect to my iPhone 6, and when I tap the Bluetooth icon on the control pad it brings up a message that the Bluetooth needs service. A reboot of the center panel always fixes the problem, but I have been required to reboot almost every 2d or 3d time I get into the car.

Today when my phone did not connect, I just turned off the watch. Shortly after doing that, the phone connected and all was well. I suspect there is some issue re connection when the phone and the watch are both broadcasting a Bluetooth signal. Not sure if there is something I can do to fix the issue now, or whether I simply need to wait until the next software update.

Any suggestions out there?

both my wife and I have Apple Watches. weve never had an issue with them and the Tesla. We did with the Pebble. And Tile (and similar) BT tags.

We continue to have the odd Facebook on iOS issue. for some reason using Facebook on the iPhone while connected to BT in the Tesla, it will crash and recycle the BT connection.

Anecdotally, iOS 9 appears to have fixed this. It's only been 24 hours and two moderate drives, but I've certainly done the same sorts of things that have caused it to disconnect in the past. I should have a chance to surface the issues again this weekend. iOS 9 is out for everyone on the 16th (next wednesday) in case you weren't already aware.

VxJasonxV

Alright, two interesting things have happened in the last few days.

1. I did not continue to have issues to the same extent that I have before. I did have a disconnection issue *once*, when music stopped playing. I'm not entirely sure what to think of this, because it was certainly a very specific situation. IIRC I was doing nothing with my phone. Once my playlist ended, the media view dropped me back to the browse screen instead of the current song screen. This is definitely a disconnect, and it should *not* be happening, but it was only once in nearly a week now, which is better than almost once a day as it was occurring previously.

2. I have a Bluetooth deadbolt lock for my home, and the manufacturer sent out an e-mail today with a very interesting piece of information:

Apple’s new iOS 9 introduces a new Bluetooth™ technology that changes the way your smartphone communicates with your August Smart Lock. We have created an update that ensures full compatibility. We expect approval from Apple in the next 72 hours.

Strangely, their app still works for me, but that's besides the point for this forum. This reinforces my belief that the Bluetooth software stack was changed in iOS 9, and I'm looking for more information.

Today I encountered a number of disconnects, and I wonder if this issue could be as simple as something in common we all use. We've all talked about devices we all use, but not apps that also have permission to interact via Bluetooth.

For those of you having chronic Bluetooth disconnection issues, could you go to your Settings app, then Privacy -> Bluetooth Sharing, and list what apps you have there?

I have:

Authy
Knock (to Unlock)
(Square) Cash

All enabled.