Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth issues on Model X at 10,080 miles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The iPhone was talking to the car this morning. I accidently left work today without my iPhone and it was playing from an iPhone playlist. When the music stopped so did Bluetooth functions. I've deleted all the BT devices on both the phone and car, rebooted the car >10 times, drove to the middle of an empty field, nothing.

The BT on the Tesla will not see the iPhone (Discoverable), and the iPhone cannot see the Tesla.

I refuse to text while driving. So I guess I have to schedule a dealer visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is quite the different definition of a "bricked car" than I am used to seeing. Hopefully the moderators change it to something more descriptive of what you are experiencing, like "Blutooth no longer functions on my Model X" or something.

If you have to have your computer reflashed by the OEM because it corrupted, we call that bricking in the tuning industry. There is no Bluetooth problem with my car because it no longer supports Bluetooth. It has a bad flash in the computer that the enduser cannot resolve.

The cellphone integration of Tesla Products (all) is not up to modern standards. This is a conscious decision by Tesla to ignore cellphone technology advances made in the last 5 years.

I will have to park the car until it's repaired. I can't use it for it's intended purpose (work). A 5 year old car that works with cellphones will replace it.

So, it is a LARGE brick for now. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: tierneyalvin
If you have to have your computer reflashed by the OEM because it corrupted, we call that bricking in the tuning industry. There is no Bluetooth problem with my car because it no longer supports Bluetooth. It has a bad flash in the computer that the enduser cannot resolve.

The cellphone integration of Tesla Products (all) is not up to modern standards. This is a conscious decision by Tesla to ignore cellphone technology advances made in the last 5 years.

I will have to park the car until it's repaired. I can't use it for it's intended purpose (work). A 5 year old car that works with cellphones will replace it.

So, it is a LARGE brick for now. :D

Bricking means its unusuable, not that you dont want to use it. You dont want to use the car. The car is not bricked (which was your original title). Your model X is not bricked. At best, the bluetooth module in your model x is bricked, which is not what you said.

• Love
Reactions: jboy210 and P85_DA
Bricking means its unusuable, not that you dont want to use it. You dont want to use the car. The car is not bricked (which was your original title). Your model X is not bricked. At best, the bluetooth module in your model x is bricked, which is not what you said.

According to you perhaps. I can corrupt the BIOS on your computer so you can still USE it, just without the ability to network. Would you say having no internet on your box means it's fine? Or would you want a new mobo? There is nothing PHYSICALLY wrong with your computer so it's not JJ-Bricked. It's just useless. Since it's illegal here to phone/text/drive and every car has hand's free cell support, I would say my car is hobby horse.

Whether or not you agree, Tesla has been aware of the problem for years. None of their 2020 products has full cellphone support. Every other automaker who sells cars in the US, sells a model with cellphone integration that is superior to all of Tesla's offerings. Hyundai even blows Tesla's best offerings in the weeds.

Tesla has never mentioned they intend to provide standard cellphone support at some future date. They do not offer it at all, at any price. Much like AM radio. Elon decided hand's free cellphone support is not important at all or Tesla's would have had it since the Roadster.

Feel to say that's acceptable in a business situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's just a disagreement about the definition of the word "bricked," which is generally reserved for a permanent failure of an electronic device, which cannot be used at all.

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 12.13.23 PM.png

Reactions: jjrandorin
Correct, different people use the term 'bricked' differently. I use it when the enduser cannot overcome a coding problem that stops functionality and requires a direct reflashing. I've 'bricked' a few ECMs but woke them back up with a bench harness.

If I throw a cellphone in the campfire, I would not use the bricked term. It's more a computer nerd term.

To the point: While TSLA does not actively monitor this site, if everybody who has had problems with the cell integration spoke up, there would be some incentive for them to fix this problem. There are many bugs in the BT/Cell coding, but this is the first 'bug' that completely disabled it so I had to switch cars.

Last edited: