Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I've had my model 3 for a couple months. I have recently started having issues with the BT connectivity. My car is only part of the time recognizing my phone. When it does, it still will not allow me put the car in gear. It requires me to use the card key. I have tried all the usual stuff like rebooting, reinstall the app etc. Nothing is working. Any suggestions?

Try completely unpairing and re-pairing the phone and car. On the car side, delete the phone as a key and also open the Bluetooth menu and tell the car to "forget" the phone. On the phone, open the Bluetooth menu and tell the phone to "forget" the car. Also, for good measure, delete the Tesla app on the phone. After that's done, reboot both the phone and the car (this may be unnecessary; I'm just trying to suggest everything that even might be helpful), re-load the Tesla app and log back into your account. Then re-pair the phone as a Bluetooth device and set it up as a key again.

I know you said you'd tried at least some of this, so my apologies if you've tried it all. AFAIK, the above procedure should completely wipe and re-provision all the relevant data on both the phone and the car as thoroughly as is possible short of a complete wipe of everything (return to factory defaults), which would be a pain to restore. Of course, if the problem is a fundamental model incompatibility or, as @5_+JqckQttqck suggests, an RF problem caused by a case, a software reset will do no good whatsoever.

If your phone is Android-based, some people (including me) who've tried both on identical hardware say that Android 9 ("Pie") is more reliable as a phone key than is Android 8.x ("Oreo") and earlier. Thus, if you're running Android 8.x and you can update to Android 9, doing so may help. If your phone's manufacturer hasn't released Android 9 for your phone but you're technically proficient, you could look into an open source Android like LineageOS; however, LineageOS seems to be more susceptible to a problem with making Bluetooth calls, so you might be trading one problem for another. If you're not technically proficient or don't want to bother with replacing your phone's OS, an upgrade to a newer phone may be worth considering.

My phone (iphone 6s) can be paired without the problem but everytime I step into my Model 3 I have to pair it again. It does not do it automatically. I have tried to forget phone and car without success. I have tried with the iphone of my partner and there it is the same story. Any suggestions what is the problem here?
By the way, when I am only for about 10-15 minutes out of the car for shopping and come back into the car it continues the music I was playing from my phone. So no issues then. However, when it is for a longer time (half an hour or longer) it does not reconnect.