Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bluetooth keeps loosing text message connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately this happens to me just about every time I get in the car.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and the car now no longer pairs with the phone when I enter it :(

The only way to fix this is to delete the Bluetooth profile and recreate it and reboot the phone. Next time I get in the car, again no Bluetooth connection. Sometimes it connects just the phone portion but not the text messages or the phone book.

Bluetooth connectivity used to always work but it is now super buggy.

Such problems have mutliple causes, most of them coming from the cellphone itself (brand, os version, BT version, compatibiity, signal strength, apps installed, authorisations given, etc.)

Don't blame the car first ;)

My phone seems to connect normally enough--but, only for phone calls and/or music playing. I'm unsure if it started with 2020.12.5, but it will no longer sense incoming text message (so of course it can't read them to me or display them).

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere, either on the phone or in the car?? :confused:

My phone seems to connect normally enough--but, only for phone calls and/or music playing. I'm unsure if it started with 2020.12.5, but it will no longer sense incoming text message (so of course it can't read them to me or display them).

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere, either on the phone or in the car?? :confused:

They moved it. From what I can see (and it may be available from another spot), go to Phone (under audio sources) and drag up the audio screen to see the paired phone, then 'Connect Phone'. This will show you a listing of all devices paired to your car. Select your phone and be sure the sync with messages items are checked. I find that the setting gets disabled occasionally with more recent firmware versions.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jughead135
They moved it. From what I can see (and it may be available from another spot), go to Phone (under audio sources) and drag up the audio screen to see the paired phone, then 'Connect Phone'. This will show you a listing of all devices paired to your car. Select your phone and be sure the sync with messages items are checked. I find that the setting gets disabled occasionally with more recent firmware versions.

YOU... are da man!!!! (or, possibly, da woman!!!!)

Either way, THANK YOU--that was it! Frankly, I'd forgotten there were sub-settings in the Bluetooth connection: I just saw the phone was talking to the car in every sense BUT the text and figured I had a problem. Good to know that software updates can randomly change settings. I guess the lesson is to go trough every setting after every s/w update to ensure I've got what I want/expect....

Thanks again!

EDIT: BTW, the "other spot" I got to that menu was the BT symbol up at the top of the screen....

I've done this but the next time I get in my car, the Bluetooth connection is broken again and the car does not connect automatically like it used to. Unfortunately I realize this at the worst possible time like when I need to urgently make a call or send a text message.