TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bluetooth Kidnapping

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by Beta V, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Beta V

Beta V Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic

Why is it that my Model X takes over my phone call before I get into the car? Why is it that when I'm at home and walk by the garage door, the car takes over my phone call and I can't hear the caller because I'm NOT IN THE CAR? I'm talking to my doctor or another important caller (or any caller) and I get near the car only to have the BT kidnap the connection. Unacceptable.

Did anyone do any user testing before settling on this design? Why doesn't it work like every other luxury car, every ordinary car I've ever used? The BT re-connect should ONLY be activated once my butt is in the seat.

THIS is more important than fart noises.

• Like x 1
  2. Tdreamer

Tdreamer Supporting Member

I agree - they have all sorts of sensors in the car, including the drivers seat that they use to trigger various actions. Using it to enable a BT connection would seem to be easy enough.

3. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Do you walk around with your fob in your pocket? It's not uncommon at all for the car to take over the bluetooth connection once it connects, this behavior is the same in my Volt and my previous Chevy/GM cars. I'm not sure Tesla is doing anything different here but if I'm wrong then so be it... :)

Jeff

4. Beta V

Beta V Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic

Yes, I carry my fob. There are two kinds of people--those who have to hunt for their keys when it's time to go or leave them hanging on a hook or in a bowl by the door, and those who just pocket them. I'm the latter. That way when I need to get into the car or charge it, I don't have to hunt up the key.

5. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Agree, it's lame. My workaround is to switch audio selection on iPhone, on the fly.