Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth link shuts off all iPhone sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how to fix this iPhone bluetooth problem? I like having the phone link automatically to the car so I can answer calls hands free. Of course, the BT link mutes the phone so one hears and talks only through the Tesla interface.

Problem is, it also mutes the sounds of an incoming text, reminder, and even audio of any videos or Face Time calls when the phone is anywhere near the car, running or not. I have failed to answer several texts/iMessages until hours later because they arrived muted while I was in the car and I had no idea until much later that they were there.

Does anyone know how to fix this iPhone bluetooth problem? I like having the phone link automatically to the car so I can answer calls hands free. Of course, the BT link mutes the phone so one hears and talks only through the Tesla interface.

Problem is, it also mutes the sounds of an incoming text, reminder, and even audio of any videos or Face Time calls when the phone is anywhere near the car, running or not. I have failed to answer several texts/iMessages until hours later because they arrived muted while I was in the car and I had no idea until much later that they were there.

I've had this problem also. What I'd like as a solution for this problem is to let the phone audio continue to go to the phone's speaker until I select the phone as a Bluetooth audio source or a phone call comes in. Not being an expert with Bluetooth I'm not sure if there's a feasible way for the car to do that.

Bruce.

Go to media and set the source to phone. (right side next to TuneIn)

If you want music play it though the phone.
For the subset of users who have a phone full of music and don't like to listen to radio or streaming, maybe that is solution.

Incoming (of out-going) phone calls mute radio or streaming. It seems that it should allow text notification sounds to sound on one or the other device.

For the subset of users who have a phone full of music and don't like to listen to radio or streaming, maybe that is solution.

Incoming (of out-going) phone calls mute radio or streaming. It seems that it should allow text notification sounds to sound on one or the other device.

Right. I shouldn't have my music choices restricted to my phone just because i want to hear audible notifications from my phone. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. (But as I said earlier I'm not sure if that's technically possible.)

Bruce.

Reactions: PrGrPa and EVCarGUy
Try this:
  • Enter the car and let the iPhone connect as normal.
  • Access the iPhone and swipe up to get the control panel.
  • Swipe left until you see the Music pane
  • Your Tesla should show up as the Music device at the bottom.
    • Switch from Tesla to the iPhone.
It appears that the phone calls still go through the Tesla, but all other audio will come up on the iPhone.

I didn't test thoroughly, but I think this may be a work around so you still here alerts, just through the phone.

Gary

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa and RobIII
This is sad.

Many other cars have much better phone integration. My four-year old Ford, for example, cam play a notification sound when my phone receives a text. I will also (through steering wheel controls) read the text to me via text-to-speech. All this without taking my eyes off the road or hands off the wheel.

Tesla, for a manufacturer supposedly focused on driving safety, should be the leader in communications integration with in-car technology. Instead, they are woefully behind, forcing drivers to fumble for their phones and (although it is illegal in many states) use their phones while driving, to read and/or reply to text messages.

Try this:
  • Enter the car and let the iPhone connect as normal.
  • Access the iPhone and swipe up to get the control panel.
  • Swipe left until you see the Music pane
  • Your Tesla should show up as the Music device at the bottom.
    • Switch from Tesla to the iPhone.
It appears that the phone calls still go through the Tesla, but all other audio will come up on the iPhone.

I didn't test thoroughly, but I think this may be a work around so you still here alerts, just through the phone.

Gary
This is the correct sequence and works. Calls will still come through the car but notifications will come through the phone's speaker. This has been a complaint since the first cars were released yet still has not been addressed. Thankfully buttons and toggles on the screen have been arbitrarily moved repeatedly though. (note sarcasm)

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
The above machination does not work with the iPhone X. My new Tesla Model X 100D does the same thing and I can not hear text alerts at all. Furthermore, I can not use an external Bluetooth device (AirPods or Plantronics) and have the sound of any music continue through the car’s speakers — it silences everything even though I’m talking on the phone through the AirPods.
I agree with everyone that the Bluetooth connectivity should really be reasonably sophisticated in a >$100,000 automobile! Maybe someone from the factory/design team is listening? Or maybe, someone fixes it?

The above machination does not work with the iPhone X. My new Tesla Model X 100D does the same thing and I can not hear text alerts at all. Furthermore, I can not use an external Bluetooth device (AirPods or Plantronics) and have the sound of any music continue through the car’s speakers — it silences everything even though I’m talking on the phone through the AirPods.
I agree with everyone that the Bluetooth connectivity should really be reasonably sophisticated in a >$100,000 automobile! Maybe someone from the factory/design team is listening? Or maybe, someone fixes it?

This does work with the iPhone X, but the interface has changed a bit in iOS 11 and the way to get to the control panel has changed with the iPhone X. To do this with your phone you need to:

Swipe down from the upper right to pull down the control panel
Tap the little curved lines in the upper right of the ‘music square’
Select “iPhone”

The issue isn’t really with your $100,000 automobile, but rather with the way Bluetooth works. Once the phone connects through Bluetooth to the car it automatically sends all audio to the car. If the car has it’s audio system on another source the phone doesn’t know that the audio it’s sending to the car isn’t being heard. There is nothing in the Bluetooth protocol that allows the car to stay connected but tell the phone that it’s not actually playing the sounds the phone sends. If the car disconnects from Bluetooth whenever the audio source is not the phone then your phone calls won’t be able to be routed to the car when the phone rings. It’s a Bluetooth limitation that affects all cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah
FWIW, my solution is to wear an Apple Watch. Then I get audio and haptic notifications on the watch, and there is less distraction/interruption if I glance at my watch to see what the notification is. Also, AFAIK no law specifically penalizes the use of a 'smartwatch', but lots of penalties for using/touching/holding an iPhone.

I’ve elected to just unpair the phone and use the AirPods to talk on phone, etc...
It doesn’t seem like rocket science, but I guess I can live with using the phone as a separate item... not ideal in the sophisticated Model X 100D, but I lived with in my Subaru, so...

Unfortunately, Tesla does not appear to support the Hands-free protocol (HFP).
This does work with the iPhone X, but the interface has changed a bit in iOS 11 and the way to get to the control panel has changed with the iPhone X. To do this with your phone you need to:

Swipe down from the upper right to pull down the control panel
Tap the little curved lines in the upper right of the ‘music square’
Select “iPhone”

The issue isn’t really with your $100,000 automobile, but rather with the way Bluetooth works. Once the phone connects through Bluetooth to the car it automatically sends all audio to the car. If the car has it’s audio system on another source the phone doesn’t know that the audio it’s sending to the car isn’t being heard. There is nothing in the Bluetooth protocol that allows the car to stay connected but tell the phone that it’s not actually playing the sounds the phone sends. If the car disconnects from Bluetooth whenever the audio source is not the phone then your phone calls won’t be able to be routed to the car when the phone rings. It’s a Bluetooth limitation that affects all cars.
There is HFP - Hands Free Protocol, which allows you to send audio over the link for navigation audio. iOS uses HFP by default, but it appears that Tesla does not support HFP. This worked fine in my Infiniti M37.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa and mal_tsla