Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth media pairing issue, phone as a key works fine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if others have had this issue and found a workaround that I could try. I have a Oneplus One and using it for the key is fine, I mean Bluetooth usually has an issue but quickly turning it off/on works 100% of the time after that.

What I can't do is setup my phone to play media. Search in the phone setup never finds my phone even though I just got into the car using Bluetooth!

I've tried rebooting the car, my phone etc. they just won't pair up. I had no issue with an LG G4 so I know it does work.

Anything else to try other than a new phone, this might push me over and get one this year.

Thanks

Is your phone actually connecting to the car by conventional Bluetooth? I don't mean the phone key function, which is a different protocol (Bluetooth LE). Your phone key can remain listed as a key while not paired with the car to play Bluetooth audio and make calls. Look under the car's Bluetooth menu (tap on the Bluetooth icon in the upper info bar) to see if it's listed there. If it is, try removing the phone from that screen and removing the car from your phone and re-pairing.

I'll try that next time I'm in the car but it hasn't been paired ever so it won't show up in the Bluetooth icon on the UI. I could delete the key from my phone app and try the whole thing again but as you say they are different protocols and the key aspect works.

Thanks

I'll try that next time I'm in the car but it hasn't been paired ever so it won't show up in the Bluetooth icon on the UI. I could delete the key from my phone app and try the whole thing again but as you say they are different protocols and the key aspect works.

Thanks

If it's never been paired with Bluetooth, that's why it's not working. The phone has to be paired to work as a key through Bluetooth LE and also as Bluetooth device to play media and make calls. Go through the pairing directions and you should be set. You shouldn't need to delete the phone key to do it.

I’m having the same issue. I have two iPhones set as keys. Paired the first as a phone and it worked fine. Paired the second and it also worked fine but then disappeared.

It still works as a key but I am unable to pair it as a phone/ media player.

I have a similar issue with a note 5; I can use it as a key, but car can’t connect to the phone for calls and such. I tried to “forget” the phone on the car’s Bluetooth screen, but it spins endlessly. I’ve tried rebooting the screen, but that hasn’t helped either. My husband was able to pair his iPhone 6s, but for me, nada. Will try a couple more times before I call service. Anyone have any suggestions? I’ve already tried everything in the manual. Help....

So I solved my issue today! What I did was open the Bluetooth UI on my phone and then start the car's search to connect button and clicked on the available connection that showed up on the phone. That triggered a pairing that failed but did it again and it worked perfectly. I have phone and media now working for the first time! Now just to make the key work 100% of the time would be nice.

Hope that helps others.

I forgot I had this issue haha. I'm still dealing with phone key problems most of the time. But also weird things like the Tesla app will show connected key but still not work to open the door!

I'm hoping to change to a OnePlus 6 soon, fingers crossed I won't need to buy a fob.