TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bluetooth media - song title, album, etc

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by dirkhh, Jul 21, 2013.

1. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

When connecting via Bluetooth to my Android phone, all I can do is play the "current song" (without getting a song title, album name, etc), or skip to "previous" and "next". No way to browse, see what's there...

Is this normal? Is there a way to change that?

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

...something's not right. FWIW, I have an iPhone and it all shows up via BT. Hopefully someone on Android can assist here....

3. nspollution

nspollution Member

That *is* normal for the iPhone as well. You can't browse the iPhone either.

4. dirkhh

So I tired my wife's iPhone and indeed, title, band, even cover art is shown. Can't get that to happen with my Android phone. :'(

5. JPP

JPP Active Member

..as I said, maybe someone with Android expertise can jump in here...

6. nspollution

nspollution Member

I thought you were referring to the ability to look through playlists and stuff.

iPhone definitely shows cover art, but it's not always correct.

7. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

The answer is, it depends on your phone and version of android. In order for the title/album/artist to show up, the phone must support Bluetooth profile AVRCP v1.3 or higher. The current "stock" android v4.2 does not support this, however Samsung and HTC (and CyanogenMod version <10.1 if you use it) support it in their most recent phones on their respective Android platforms. The Samsung GS3 and GS4 both support it, as does the HTC One series. Google has publicly said that Android v4.3 will support AVRCP 1.4, and the latest version is allegedly being released next week for Nexus devices.

The solution is to upgrade or flash CM or another custom ROM.

8. dirkhh

Thank you - that's super helpful. I have a Nexus Galaxy, so chances are there will be an update reasonably soon. I'll wait for that instead of switching to CM.

9. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

Yup, I'd wait. There's a google event on Wednesday morning PST and the rumour is they're releasing a new Nexus 7, along with 4.3. There will probably be stable images available online within a week, but the Galaxy Nexus may take a bit longer, esp. if you have the Verizon version and you want to wait for the OTA.