Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth music/google maps directions only audible during phone call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a few months now I've been experiencing the classic "Why can't I hear my music or directions from my phone when connected to my Tesla through bluetooth" problem.

I've done the usual troubleshooting steps: disconnect and forget the device from the phone and the Tesla settings and reboot both then reconnect. I have even signed out of the Tesla app on my phone, cleared the data from the app, reinstalled it, sign back in and reconnect.
Neither would fix the issue.
I even had my brother connect his phone to the Tesla through bluetooth and try to play something and still no sound. It doesn't even load anything in the player bar for either of our phones like it used to. We can connect our phones to other bluetooth devices and it works fine.

So signs point to an issue or setting in the Tesla, even though nothing changed. Sure there have been a few Tesla updates installed, but this started between updates and I'm the only person that drives this car, so there really weren't any changes that happened when this first started.

Now here's the interesting thing. I was driving one day with Google Maps doing navigation while connected to bluetooth with the Tesla in hopes that it would magically work. I received a call on my phone and answered it through the Tesla. What do I hear in the background of the call? The sweet sweet sound of my directions from Google Maps! That's weird. The call ended and so did the ability to hear the directions from Google Maps through bluetooth.

Strange right? What else could I try? Why would it be doing this? How do I report this to Tesla in a meaningful way?

For reference I have a 2021 Model Y on version 2022.20.18 and the phones used are a Samsung Galaxy S22+ and a Google Pixel 5.

What setting do you have in Google Maps?
0D8FAD42-54F4-44FA-B973-B09B741C78D3.jpeg

@tappeeohca Did you find a solution? I've been trying to get this working for few months now but no success :)
Thanks for reminding me, yes I did figure it out! Turns out somewhere along the way my Tesla would stop auto launching the Bluetooth audio source when playing media on my phone while connected after I had switched to another audio source. So for instance, if I was using the Spotify audio source(for some reason) and wanted to listen to an audiobook from my phone it wouldn't automatically switch to the Bluetooth player like it usually would.

So after verifying my phone was paired to my Tesla via Bluetooth and verifying the Bluetooth audio source was enabled on the Tesla, I manually launched the Bluetooth audio source by using the 3 dot menu next to the recent apps and my Bluetooth media was audible once more.

Now if only the media player can be returned back to the center of the screen so your hand doesn't block what's currently playing...

Reactions: Dbergeeke