TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bluetooth Music

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by Dante, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Dante

Dante Member

So I'm a bit surprised that there isn't another thread about this (or I can't seem to find it). Got my Model 3 a few days ago, and was surprised at how poor the sound quality was. I read people ranting and raving at how "premium" the premium sound system was, but I had to crank the volume to max, and my music still sounded quiet, faded, and all around crappy. 3/4 of the way through my drive home, I figure I'll try out the included streaming services, and WOW. Huge difference. Completely understand the ranting and raving. But my question is: why does my music coming from my phone (iPhone) sound terrible? My other car is a Mazda 3, and the music played through bluetooth sounds basically the same as the music coming from the USB plug into the iPhone. (The bluetooth call quality sounds horrible though on the Mazda, whereas it sounds great - minus the echo - on the Model 3).

My questions:
    Is there a way to play your own music through your phone that won't make it sound like *sugar*? I've gathered from reading around that you can't use the USB plug to play your music (correct me if I'm wrong!). The only workaround I have read is to make a USB stick and plug that into one of the front ports? But it's also limited in what audio files you can use?
    Will a software update make the bluetooth audio quality better? (Or heck, is there something wrong with my car that's making the bluetooth music sound so bad? How has nobody else complained about this?)

2. hacer

hacer Member

My wife does this all the time with her iPhone, it sounds great (and very loud without full volume). Is it possible that your phone's volume (or source volume) affects the bluetooth stream and it is set near zero?

• Helpful x 2
  3. Dante

Dante Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try today! I just assumed it was a car issue, maybe it's just a phone issue :D

Also, I just realized the forums auto-substitute *sugar* for something else I wrote hahahaha.

• Love x 1
  4. Dante

Dante Member

Ok, pumped up the volume on my iPhone, and played with a few of the EQ settings, and the music sounds much better now. Thanks! Was getting tired of flipping through random songs I didn't actually want to listen to on the "Radio"!

5. Narekzo

Narekzo Member

Have you tried using another phone to see if there's a difference?

6. flashflooder

flashflooder Member

Most of my other cars disregard the iPhone's volume when streaming over bluetooth (acting more as a line-out to the car's audio system). For whatever reason, the Model 3 takes it into account. Luckily, iPhones will "remember" the volume setting for that device.

7. amitmishra4

amitmishra4 Member

Hmm every car that I’ve ever owned has taken the phone volume into regard when using Bluetooth to stream music. Not just cars, as far as I can remember, Bluetooth speakers and most other devices behave the same way. The reason I know this is the I will usually keep the Bluetooth speaker volume at the max and use my phone volume buttons to control volume at the source so I don't have to get up and walk to the speaker every time to adjust volume. Glad you figured it out though and good luck with your model 3.