Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth not allowing two devices to connect simultaneously when it should

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, if you have one you want to make primary.

If multiple people drive the car and you want the driver's to be primary, probably need to tie-in to profiles (need Tech). Need to be sure you establish the use cases and understand what needs to be done.

Also, there clearly is a problem because Tesla is assuming any device is connecting both as a phone and a media device. My laptop connected and let me play music but when discovering the device it said it was a phone (which it isn't).

That could either be a problem with the car or with the laptop. Bluetooth devices report their capabilities to each other. You should be able to see what your laptop is reporting by pairing with another device like a phone and using software that shows the capabilities.

My Tesla S 85 can pair with my IPhone 6+, but now I have an Apple Watch, as well as a streamer for my hearing aids. The Tesla people told me that my car can only pair with one Bluetooth device. What am I supposed to do?? Throw my phone in first before I get in with wearing the watch and the streamer?? I am desperately hoping for an upgrade so that the Tesla bluetooth can connect to several devices at once. Of all the high-tech manufacturers in the country, Tesla should be leading the way in this matter, too.
Get with the times, Tesla!!!

I assume your hearing aids and (obviously) your Watch pair with the phone. You should be okay. Just pair your phone with the car and your other devices should continue to work with the phone. It's just that the car can only have one phone connected to it at a time.

I have my Pebble smartwatch paired with my iPhone, and the iPhone with the car. They play nice together.

I have a private iPhone 4s and a work iPhone 5S
Both are paired with my Model S.
When I am responsible for After Hours Support, I make the work phone the primary and when not the private phone is primary.
I have received a couple of calls on the secondary phone and I can generally switch it to the active phone by tapping the Bluetooth Icon on the dash the tapping connect on the relevant phone then pick up the call.
Streaming Media? Why would I bother making song choices when Paradise Radio will do it for me. :cool:
In Australian Model S we get Tune-In and RDIO as Slacker only arrived here last year, presumably too late for Tesla to negotiate a deal for Australia.

Last edited:
I suspect this needs two Bluetooth antennas to work correctly. Any device I've ever owned can pair multiple devices but can only have an active data exchange on one at a time. Maybe your Pioneer had two BT antennas? That's actually starting to become more common these days too.

Nope. Modern BT headphones can connect to multiple devices simultaneously. Tesla's car infotainment systems are getting long in the tooth....

Can't believe 3 years later this still hasn't been addressed. Today, I tried to use an Echo Dot (for media) and my iPhone(for phone) in my 2015 85D and it can only connect to one device at a time...
Believe it. Trip Planner has been in beta for 2 years now and it's still unable to route you to a non-Tesla charge point. I needed a charge recently and Trip Planner was utterly useless, leaving me on my own to find a nearby Blink CHAdeMO charger. Infotainment bugs and issues have abounded since the Model S was launched in 2012. It's pretty clear which parts of the Model S operating system are most disliked by the Tesla team.

I wonder if something like this Bluetooth router would be a workaround. The idea here is that you pair multiple devices to it and that it then pairs to a speaker, in this case the Tesla(?). The main problem is the power- it would require an inverter to work. And of course there's no guarantee that it would be successful once paired.

Amazon.com: Cassia Hub Bluetooth Router: Amazon Launchpad

There seem to be several versions of it so while this link doesn't have any available there are others on Amazon that do for about $149.

Disclaimer- I don't propose this as a solution since this is a function that's Tesla should develop. But who knows what priority this would have, so I'm only suggesting this as type of thing as a possible solution for those who need this and are willing to take a risk and spend the money.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mbhforum