Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth not automatically connecting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guy's,

Is it normal that I have to manually connect my iPhone 12 Pro Max to "Tesla Model 3" every time I enter the car? I also just noticed that it is not staying connected. I have unpaired and set up a couple of times, makes no difference.

My 2022 M3P and iPhone software are both on most current versions.

Thanks

My experience with that is, the "priority device" setting seems to control that. I believe (but am not 100%) that it will only automatically connect the bluetooth device that is marked as the priority one.

My wife and I have a model 3 and Y, I am the primary driver of the model 3, my wife is the primary driver of the model Y. Each of us have our phones as the priority device in the respective vehicles. If I drive the model Y, I have to remember to connect the bluetooth if I want to do anything with my phone.

I usually dont need to, though, since the spotify accounts now follow your profile (so I can listen to "my" spotify account in her car). Phone as key is obviously not impacted by that priority setting either. From my experience, its only bluetooth phone calls / texts / bluetooth streaming from phone" that is impacted.

Hi JJ,

Just went out and took two pics of my Bluetooth status. I believe my iPhone is "priority"....right?

And for the past 30 minutes or so I have gotten into and out of the car and it seems to be connecting now. Basically immediately upon entry it is not connected and the screen say "connect a device" or "connect a phone"...can't remember exact wording. Then maybe 5-10 seconds upon entry my recent calls etc pops up and i'm connected automatically.

Does the orange star dictate that my iphone is a "priority device" ?

Thanks for the help
3F350284-9FE1-4ED2-BCA1-41C83BA4B4A9.jpeg
8FDA5D19-0862-4DBE-88E4-37A155AA3FF2.jpeg

Does the orange star dictate that my iphone is a "priority device" ?

Yeah, that is what a priority connection looks like. Sounds like its working a little better for you now. I have never paid attention to how fast it connects, since I use spotify for music through the cars interface.

Every once in a while, even with it selected as priority device, I go to voice chat my wife a text message and get a message to "connect bluetooth device". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Its tesla (lol), I have gotten used to little quirks like that.

it seems fine most of the time though.

Lol....Thats exactly what I noticed yesterday when I posted here. I was in the car just assuming it was connected and I went to send a text to my sister and got the "Connect bluetooth device"

Truth be told.....I haven't seen a techie car yet with touch screens and all the bells and whistles that wasn't bug ridden. I've had 911's, a Defender, an SQ5, a new GTI, the Tesla....They are all glitchy.

Thanks for your help though, always appreciated

Reactions: jjrandorin
@Gulfcoaster what software version are you on? my car just started doing this now with my s20+, it doesn't automatically connect at the moment (at least not while I'm in my garage). I have to actually go into Bluetooth and hit connect device and pick my phone for it to connect...I just spent 20-30 mins in the car trying to fix it, with no luck.

@Gulfcoaster what software version are you on? my car just started doing this now with my s20+, it doesn't automatically connect at the moment (at least not while I'm in my garage). I have to actually go into Bluetooth and hit connect device and pick my phone for it to connect...I just spent 20-30 mins in the car trying to fix it, with no luck.
Hi Crackers...

I'm on SW version 2022.20.8, the latest as of today.

One thing I wanted to mention so anyone with Bluetooth connection concerns better understands is that the Bluetooth will not connect to your phone until you close the drivers door. If you are sitting in the drivers seat with the drivers door open it will not connect. The second you close the drivers door, the bluetooth connects automatically.

Hi Crackers...

I'm on SW version 2022.20.8, the latest as of today.

One thing I wanted to mention so anyone with Bluetooth connection concerns better understands is that the Bluetooth will not connect to your phone until you close the drivers door. If you are sitting in the drivers seat with the drivers door open it will not connect. The second you close the drivers door, the bluetooth connects automatically.

this might be the issue. I was sitting there with the door open the entire time... I'll test when I go out this afternoon and report back.

Reactions: Gulfcoaster