Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth off [on my phone] - why not a banner/notice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a thought, but recently was going crazy why my phone wasn't opening car but I could still unlock it via app. Turned out my bluetooth was off 🤦‍♂️ but made me wonder why it doesn't have a little icon or notice, something, that says "phone key disabled - bluetooth off" or something!

When you turn bluetooth off, the Tesla app will notify you that it won't be able to serve as a key... Don't youget that notification? Have you given the Tesla app notifications rights?

I get notifications for things like charging complete, so yea I believe notifications are enabled. I don't recall getting that bluetooth notification though. Even if it did, seems like while looking at the screen would be better.. I don't remember shutting off bluetooth either, not sure why I would even do that, so who knows.

You can try it out easily on your phone. Disable Bluetooth temporarily and you'll see the "always there" Tesla notification changes from connected or disconnected to "enable bluetooth to use your phone as key". It is not a separate notification, sorry I was a bit misleading earlier.

You get the Tesla notification, immediately after turning off BT. If you don't remember turning BT off, then surely you won't remember getting a notification. The question is why/how did you turn BT off without knowing? Did you use Airplane mode or something?

You can try it out easily on your phone. Disable Bluetooth temporarily and you'll see the "always there" Tesla notification changes from connected or disconnected to "enable bluetooth to use your phone as key". It is not a separate notification, sorry I was a bit misleading earlier.
Here's the part that is stumping and bothering me. That message notification status bar NEVER GOES AWAY AT ALL!! I've had my Bluetooth on/ off. I've used the phone as key to drive the car. I've rebooted the phone. That message has been there like a wart for months and won't go away, no matter what I do, and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Any ideas?

Hum... On my android phone I can swipe that notification away... But I bet it will show again at the next state change. I have to say it never annoyed me enough to find a solution.
There's also a nifty feature with it: if you expand that notification, there are shortcuts for a couple of things and frunk is one of them. I use it sometimes instead of launching the app.

Have you tried a reboot?
I've rebooted the phone.
Yes, like I said, this has been more than a month, through multiple reboots and fully shutting the phone off a few times. It always comes back and can never be dismissed, no matter what. When I hit the "clear" button, to dismiss notifications, all of the other notifications on my phone go away except for that one.

Take a screenshot and post it.
I don't use this forum on my phone, so that would be cumbersome, and I don't see the point. It's the same notification that @GtiMart referred to, so people are familiar with it. It says, "Enable Bluetooth to use your phone as a key"

But I have done that and used the phone as key with Bluetooth, and the notification still can't be dismissed.

There's essentially a permanent "T" Tesla logo at the top of our phones in the short notification area (Android) and, when shown in its entirety (swipe down from top on Android), shows connected/disconnected/enable bluetooth to use phone as key depending on the state. If I further expand that notification while it shows connected" I have options to open frunk etc without opening the app (tapping the notification itself launches the app).
I can swipe that notification left/right to dismiss it and it goes away but as said, it comes back on the next state change as far as I know.

That's the "phone key status" notification, which is the thing the OP was hoping exists. On Android, if you have the notification and don't want to see it:
  1. Long press on the notification so it expands.
  2. Tap the gear icon to open the notification settings for the Tesla app.
  3. Turn off "Phone Key Status" (it will flash a few times if you open the settings this way).
If you don't have the notification (because you turned it off) and do want it:
  1. Long press the Tesla app icon from the launcher.
  2. Tap "App Info".
  3. Tap "Notifications".
  4. Turn "Phone Key Status" on.

Reactions: GtiMart and Rocky_H